Fuel Pump Won't Run - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation Fuel Pump Won't Run

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums and bought my 2000 RC51 just two days ago. The fuel pump only sprays every once in a while when I go to try and start the bike. I'll tell you first off that the kill switch is not the issue I Checked all my fuses and everything looks good. I was reading other posts and saw that it might be a BAS problem and so I disconnected what I thought was the connector for it and reconnected it. It is a clip with a 30a fuse in it. I turned the bike on and the fuel pump sprayed and it started right up. Well I got the bike tagged today and was ready to ride and sure enough it wouldn't spray again. The bike literally didn't move from where it was at when it was working. I did the same thing again with the clip and it works again. I'm afraid to take it out and have it leave me stranded somewhere. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I would love to ride the new RC. It's a 2000 with only 7k miles on it and completely stock.

Here is a link to my photo album of the bike. The last 2 pics and videos show the problem.
http://picasaweb.google.com/killawatts4/RC51#

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 01:30 PM

Does the pump prime when turning key on, before hitting starter button?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

No, all it does is click from the rear of the bike.

I just got back from taking it around the neighborhood. All was well until I pulled back into the garage and it just died. I didn't let the clutch out or put the kick stand down or anything. Would the bike warming up have anything to do with it? I tried the trick of pulling that clip out and putting it back which usually works but it didn't.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Update:
I was reading from a shop manual about testing the pump, BAS, etc. and got out my multimeter to test the connection from the brown and green wires of the harness side of the connector. When I disconnected the wire to run the test water dumped out of the pump side rubber insulation around the wire. I hauled the bike in a downpour on the way back home and it must have collected water in the line. Well I let it hang down and dry out and plugged it back in and sure enough it's working again. So far my only guess is that the water was fouling up the connection then it would dry then work until I rode again and it would happen. My other guess for the time just recently was that I have a steep driveway and when I pull up the water dumped from the front of the bike to the back where the connection is because I surged forward to go up into the garage. When I did test the connection to the pump it read just above 12v for about 3 seconds which should be good. So far this is the only reason I can come up with for the weird off/on behavior of the pump. I'll update this again after I run it a while longer. I moved the connection a little higher up into the rear cowl so hopefully the water won't make it up to it. Thanks for the help everyone.

Grant

Last edited by KillaWatts; 06-21-2010 at 03:19 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 AM

You should put some dielectric grease in the connector also! AFTER you dry it out completely!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode