clutch kit recommendations - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
clutch kit recommendations

2000 SP1 terrible clutch action like a light switch
doesnt seem to slip tho, stock gearing IS tall i know, but its jerky if you dont get it just right, doesnt drag or anything and the clutch master feels like its working, no air and just bled through with fresh fluid, stupid shorty ASV's dont help im sure, as a kid i always had a big ole long lever to help with the stiff pull and short engagement window, i need a footlong lever for this bike!
i just want a little more feel, so i can modulate it a little as i dont have funds for a slipper right now. presently id be scared to touch it entering a corner at the track as i think id just find full disengagement and an offroad excursion.... bike has 25K on the clock. could this be an original clutch? i just got the bike so i dont know. just wondered what you guys thought, im lazy and if i am going to pull the cover and such to measure the thickness then i might as well eliminate one variable and install a whole new kit. is the barnett extra plate 00-01 clutch any good? im not worried about weight, the hyper plates look like a trick deal but just wanted some opinions from some "clutch" experienced RC riders. a line on a used slipper would rock too! thanks guys! Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
The '00-'01 (SP1) models had a rather abrupt engagement point.
On the '02+ (SP2) they introduced the judder spring with accompanying special inner friction plate to allow a bit more progressive engagement.
However my SP2 still has a quick engagement nonetheless.
I use shorty levers myself, and it just takes a little getting use to.
The clutch effort is very light compared to my 'Busa or FZ1.

If you have the service manual, you can remove the clutch cover and remove the plates and measure service thickness. If they are within limits, no need to replace.
I checked mine as my bike has over 40K miles, and they were well within limits.
They may have been replaced by the previous owner, but if not, they wear forever under normal use then.

While had the clutch apart, I did replace my drive plates with Hyperplates and I noticed an immediate improvement in shifting.
The less rotating mass made for far smoother shifting. Too bad the company no longer makes them.
I checked them last week and they are in very good condition.
I don't race the bike, so all it has to contend with is typical street use.
They are not recommended for use with a slipper clutch due to heat buildup.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
The '00-'01 (SP1) models had a rather abrupt engagement point.
On the '02+ (SP2) they introduced the judder spring with accompanying special inner friction plate to allow a bit more progressive engagement.
However my SP2 still has a quick engagement nonetheless.
I use shorty levers myself, and it just takes a little getting use to.
The clutch effort is very light compared to my 'Busa or FZ1.

If you have the service manual, you can remove the clutch cover and remove the plates and measure service thickness. If they are within limits, no need to replace.
I checked mine as my bike has over 40K miles, and they were well within limits.
They may have been replaced by the previous owner, but if not, they wear forever under normal use then.

While had the clutch apart, I did replace my drive plates with Hyperplates and I noticed an immediate improvement in shifting.
The less rotating mass made for far smoother shifting. Too bad the company no longer makes them.
I checked them last week and they are in very good condition.
I don't race the bike, so all it has to contend with is typical street use.
They are not recommended for use with a slipper clutch due to heat buildup.

great info, i appreciate it, i suppose i could check them before i just go and put a whole new kit in.... i just figured for the 130 bucks id know that it was then about as good as it could get, i see where the less rotating mass of the hyperplate would allow it to spin up or slow down quicker for down and up shifting..... hmm........ i'll have to look at the durbahn site........ i see that it says they must be used with mineral oil, why is that? thanks!!! Sean

Last edited by Chachi243; 09-10-2010 at 02:35 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
No idea, unless he was concerned about synthetic having less friction than mineral oil.
I run my Hyperplates using Mobil-1 10W40 full synthetic with no problems.
Remember that Hyperplates are no longer manufactured.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

hmm an update

well, i got the barnett "extra plate" clutch kit for the 00-01, thinner steelies and an extra each of the fiber and steel plates over the stock count.... the clutch i took out looked to be stock, i dunno about original but at least a genuine factory replacement.... and the friction plates were slightly blued from overheating and the fibers were thick enough, but glazed a bit so somebody was launching or clutching up wheelies or doing burnouts or something,
anyways i soaked the new fibers for a bit, dropped it all in no problem with the new heavier and longer springs and it works much smoother......made sure i got that last fiber in the shallow slot.....
the bike still has a narrow engagement "window" but it is smooth and it doesnt chatter or grab and lurch so im super stoked for the maiden trackday tomorrow...... i would think these thinner friction steelies would warp easier as they are thinner than stock so i dont really intend to try and rip a holeshot or anything. The fibers have little individual pads and more spacing in between so that may dissipate some additional heat... the new kit sure seemed to fix my problem, which was more an issue with it being grabby and lurching than an issue of the short engagement throw.... seems to shift smooth but more just an improvement when engaging from a stop. pretty good for 138 bucks to my door. the hyperplates look to be the shizzle but i jus dont have the bread to pull it.....

thanks for the advice fellow shredders! Sean

Steer with the throttle, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode