electrical gremlin... cluster vs running lights - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
electrical gremlin... cluster vs running lights

ok... so, I am still new here, and I have tried to search for an answer to this, here, google... hell, I've even asked jeeves. HA!

BUT, I have just picked up a '00 Rc51... she needed a little TLC (sat outside for far too much of her recent life, etc etc etc.). Well, I have now worked out nearly all of the kinks except one pretty major one. Here it is:

My gauge cluster is not working, and neither are my rear running lights.

Yes, of course, I have checked all of the grounds (pulled them off, sanded any corrosion, and put back), and, yes, I have changed the fuses (decided to go ahead and get all new fresh fuses on the bike). The cluster seems to have something rattling around in it somewhere. So, I am assuming it is shot. The connector has power (solid and switch). One time, after much pushing and tugging at the connectors, we managed to see the neutral light light up... but only for a second. As for the tail lights. The bulbs are brand new, and the brake lights work fine. Just not the running lights.

So, my theory is that I have read that the tag light, cluster, and running lights are on the same fuse (ie... circuit). Which leads me to believe that if something in the cluster is broken, then it must not be completing the circuit, and therefore, preventing the rear running lights from working.

Does this make any sense to anyone? Can anyone give me a better direction to go in terms of trouble-shooting etc?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Does your bike have the OEM fender or does it have an aftermarket undertail?
If stock, does your license plate lights work?
Also, does your turn signals work?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

The bike does not have an aftermarket undertail, but it has been modified in order to get rid of the classic "mud flap". The tag light has been removed (although the plus is still under the seat), and it had aftermarket turn signals. I say "HAD" because they were NOT working, and I took them off of the bike. If you flip the turn signal switch, you can hear the relay under the cowl clicking, but the signals never worked. The front signals work fine tho.

Sounds like you have an idea... let me know what you think. I really want to get this sorted out.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Skin_Graft; 09-28-2010 at 02:31 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Find a 14-pin gray connector around the subframe area and make sure that all contacts are not corroded.
Power for taillights and rear turn signals go through this connector.
If it is ok, then you may be having wiring harness problems.

The fact that you have front turn signals and running lights but no rear signals and taillights indicates a break somewhere as they both get their power from the same source.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

ok... I will search that out tonight.

Just got my new cluster in. Plugged it up. and .... wait... wait... NOTHING!!! Just the high beam on indication light lights up. NOTHING else is working. HELP!!!

- Skin_Graft -
--------------------------------
'01 Audi A4 1.8T quattro - the daily
'06 Triumph Daytona 675 - track toy
'00 Honda RC51 - newest addition
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

well... I went back through all of the connectors, all of the grounds, and all of the wires looking for problems. Found nothing. Traced it all back to the lil fuse box behind the left fairing...

... then decided just for good measure to go ahead and change all of the fuses in the box (even though they seemed ok last time I checked). Looking closer and with better light, I noticed that a few of the fuses, when pulled, looked a little corroded at the bases of the terminals. So, I decided to get the tiniest (is that even a word?) wire brush I could find, and scrub out the fuse box, then blew it out with some air, put a dab of dialectric grease in each spot, and then replaced every fuse in the box.

Put the key in the ignition, turned it to the on position, and wha-lah. My old cluster works fine (didn't need the new one at all), the rear running lights and brake lights are working great, the front running lights and turn signals are perfect, and I borrowed a turn signal off my triumph, and even the rears are working fine now.

basically, I'm an idiot, and this whole thing could have been solved with just some cleaning and new fuses.... EPIC FAIL!

Thanks for all of the help!

- Skin_Graft -
--------------------------------
'01 Audi A4 1.8T quattro - the daily
'06 Triumph Daytona 675 - track toy
'00 Honda RC51 - newest addition
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 06:54 PM

I had a similar story brotha. I tore the tail apart trying to find why my rear tails weren't working (obviously could NOT be the lamps.)...well, the lamps were all burned out. The reason was the P/O tied into the R brake switch so the running lights and lic plate circuity were cycling on and off and blew em. Not a total waste but yes, I think as motorheads we all assume it's the worst.lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode