My Sato/M4 combo - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Sato/M4 combo

Hey everybody, here are the pictures of my home made exhaust system. But first, a background on the exhausts I have run on the bike. When I got the bike a couple years ago, it had rainbow Moriwaki's on it. The were nice, but not my style. In the interest of saving weight, I sold them and went with a Jardine 2-1 full system. I was pleased with this system for a while, it seemed to make better power than the Mori's, especially up top, and had a really nice tone to it. There were two things I didn't like about it though, the muffler was really long and the bend in the mid pipe angled the can at an akward angle.it was parralel with the tail rather than pointing more upward. So I made a trade with a guy on Speedzilla, my Jardine set up for his Sato mids and a bunch of other stuff, including a full set ofrace fairings, a tinted double buble, two headlights etc...

So it was harder than I thought to get ahold of a set of mufflers to fit the Sato pipes. MRGRN had some sharp options, but a little out of my price range. I searched the forums for months trying to find a set of Sato's I could afford, and as soon as I found a pair, I was the second one to get a hold of the guy. So I just missed. By this time I was pretty frustrated. Them I was looking at my buddies K9 GSXR 1000. He has a dual M4 carbon supersport full system. I noticed that the inlets were pretty large. So we took one off and tried to fit it over the Sato mid. No luck. It was very close though. This got my mind working. What if I could grind a little out of the inside of the M4 can and a little out of the Sato mids. I ordered up the cans, shipped to my house from M4 for a far better price than I could have reasonably expected, and waited. The cans got to my house Tuesday. I immediately opened them up and got out the grinder. I was grinding away and it just wasn't wanting to fit. I put a couple slices in the outlet of the mid to try and compress it so the can would go on, but this only got me halfway. So I put it down for the night. I was very frustrated with myself at this point.

The next day, I was looking at it before work, and I thought what if I just find a piece of pipe to use as a sleeve between the two. The are really the same inner diameter. So I called the Metal Supermaket and had them get me a piece of 2", 1/16" wall stainless tubbing. I got home and cut everything from the stop collar on the Sato's up off and inserted my tubing. It was a perfect fit. Then I slipped the M4 cans over the stainless and voila...it was perfect! I was so excited! It looks awesome, in my opinion.

I need to have the stainless tubing sealed to the mids thouh. There is a little exhaust leak there. I don't know if stainless can be welded to titanium though. Anybody have any ideas here?

Here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RHonda m4 exhaust from behind.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1094   Click image for larger version

Name:	RHonda M4 exhaust from left side.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1095   Click image for larger version

Name:	RHonda M4 exhaust from right side.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1096  

Mythic44
05 GSX-R 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Banned

not bad looking at all

no, ti can't be welded to SS

have the pipes expanded with a expander
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 AM

i had to find that out the hard way. titanium is a bitch to weld! had my akrapovic ti muffler welded to my jardine 2n1 ti mid and the guy had to build a little box around it and pump argon gas inside. it was quite trick tho. very impressive!

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

I thought about having them expanded, but it is such a tight fit I don't think I could it to slide over if I expanded it. It's just not air tight.

I was thinking possibly some high temp silicone or something. What about a small bead of JB Weld?

Anyway, thanks for the input guys and I'm glad you like it. I am thrilled with it.

Mythic44
05 GSX-R 1000
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Seems like a little trend going on with custom exhaust. From lightly modified to full on custom like yours Mythic44. Nicely done! Good story too. I'd really like to see a side shot to get a better look at the stance of your bike with the new M4's on. Don't mean to be a pia, but, just say'n, if you got another pic...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nice looking system,how do they sound
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Here is a picture of the full side view. I love the way they look! It sounds SO good. Very loud, but not raspy. I love it. I will keep this set up for a long time I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RHonda exhaust from right full side.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	1097  

Mythic44
05 GSX-R 1000
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Banned

what is the gap? if is is wee just high temp silicone will suffice or use teflon tape like you have to with sato's

if it is larger get them expanded
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

It's just a tiny gap. too the naked eye, it looks tight. But air is getting past it. Not much, but enough that I want to get it perfect. I think I am going to use the high temp silicone.

What is the procedure with the teflon tape method? Do you just wrap it like you would a theaded pipe?

Mythic44
05 GSX-R 1000
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned

yes, wrap it like that

the silicone works well too IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode