do the fork seals need to be replaced? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
do the fork seals need to be replaced?

I did some searching and didnt find a real answer. When i had the bike trucked when i bought it i notices some oil under the left fork, and after riding the other day i saw a few drops of oil the next mornign in the same spot. Do i need to replace the fork seals. I called the delership and they said i need seals and bushings, and it would be 375 at cheapest! Well i was reading and some of you guys ahd them both done for $150 any ideas. First time doing this with any bike, dont really want to do ti myself i dont trust my bike mechanics, any ideas would be great thans for helping out a new RC owner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Man, that's kind of a tough one. Yes, it sounds like you have a blown seal. IMO, if you don't know any trustworthy mechanics, the dealership is the only alternative. That price sounds about right. Around here, $100-150 per leg is about normal, if you take the fork legs of the bike and take em in.

Longshot, but you may get some re-imbursement from the transport company. If it honestly didn't leak b4, and they cinched it down with tiedown straps, they very well could have caused the seal to blow on the drive to your house. Everyone who hauls a bike and uses tie-down straps knows that the front fork is vulnerable. Talk to the prior owner, and the transport company before you get it fixed. Even if they only pay half, still...
Good luck.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

they said mine were going to be just estimated price $400 for both....... lol, if only one leaks a few drops here and there should i do both or just 1 of them, dont flame me just never delt with this before, thanks guys

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:19 PM

if only one leaks a few drops here and there should i do both or just 1 of them, dont flame me just never...

I would say yes, in the name of uniformity and safety. We demand very high performance and extreme conditions from that fork. Do you know any car tuners that might have suspension/shock experience? How about any mountain bikers cause their suspension is just as advanced as any MC. With their guidence, and getting your hands on the right tools, AND the service manual, you could probably handle it. SubSailor says they're not that hard, I believe him cause I've rebuilt my mountain bike forks; an Answer Manitou Black and a RockShox. They're pretty sophisticated. Bit of a learning curve, but very do-able.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Ideally I'd do both, but If the other fork seal is not leaking there should be no reason to replace it, unless you wish to have both seals the same age.
You can then save money for that project in the future.

When was the last time the fork oil was changed?
If it has been a long while, you could have them just change out the fork oil so both forks are using fresh oil after the other fork is repaired.
Changing oil should be much cheaper since it doesn't require complete disassembly.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

You guys have been a great help, most car forums i have been on it takes a long time for responses, you guys were very quick. Well guy i bought it from said he he had changed the fork oil about 1,500 miles ago, he only put 1,700 on the bike. My one buddy was telling me they make oil that repairs seals in a way to stop the leak? not sure what to think of that since i have never had to do work on the forks of a bike before, had all newer bikes, this is the odlest but by far my favotrite in 8 years. But Subsailor yes the other fork is not leaking so would be be dangorous to only do one? i wouldnt think so but just a question, because i want to learn to work on the front end myself so possibly in the future when that one needs to be replaced i can afford to fix thigns if i make a mistake, times are tough right now, or should i just do both?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 PM

I'm sorry IhvRC (with leaky fork), I didn't mean to alarm anyone. Just pointing out the obvious but sometimes forgotten big picture. In a perfect world, yes rebuild both. But we don't live in a perfect world.
After getting a little more info about your specific shock, my approach would be to do the one leg yourself. Once you get into that first leg, I think you'll get a good feel for whether or not to do the other based on your observations.
Download the service manual, and get some fresh batteries for your camara.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

thanks man, yeah i might have to just bite the bullet and have both sides done, seals and bushings, if it causes me not to be able to ride for a while to save then hey safer is better when it comes to a bike, thanks guys for all the info and helping a new RC owner out, much thanks
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:52 PM

Nothing wrong with letting the dealership do it, imo. The high price covers their overhead, training, oem quality, and a warranty. I would ask to talk to the tech who will do the work for you, ask him to save the old parts and to explain what he found going on in your fork leg. You'll have more info to decide if it's really necessary to spend the $$ on the other leg...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had my left forkseal replaced, cost me a little over 190.. Now if the right side starts leaking, that's not going to be fun, but I've rode a lot over the past few weeks and it's been dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode