New to me: 2000 RC51 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New to me: 2000 RC51

Just joined the forums, and I just picked up my third bike, first RC51.

20,700 miles
New fork seals
New brake pads
New handle levers
Coolant changed last year
Great tires

Picked it up for $2,500 with a helmet, gloves, service records, service manual, cover, and front and rear stands.

It also has a two brother's exhaust on it that is a little beat up, I'll be looking to replace that with something that's also loud but sounds good, and will be able to mount with passenger foot-pegs.

Think I got a decent deal?

Couple of questions:

The bike has "Racing plastics"

-no rear seat
-driver's seat is hard as S***!
-different cheapo headlights
-different fairings

I ordered a new set from that Hong Kong Ebay deal, hopefully it works out, ordered the stock red to match the tank.

Would anyone be interested in the plastics? I won't have a use for them once I change them out, are they worth anything?

Anything I should look to change? Already bought some Valvoline fully synthetic 10W-40, ordered a filter as well.

Air filter?
Fuel filter?
Brake and clutch fluid?

What are the mods that people do, like the flapper mod?

Is there a nicer air filter system that I should look to buy? Eventually it will be getting a PCIII.

The bike doesn't have turn signals either, and the blinker doesn't blink, so am I missing the relay as well?

Finally a picture:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Welcome to the group!

So was this a track bike that being returned to street use?
I have no prior experience with Valvoline motorcycle oil.
For air filters, the OEM filters work fine.

Be aware that you may need to do some trimming to make the Ebay bodywork fit properly. Often times the holes aren't quite aligned and may need enlarging, etc.
Just take your time and don't get in a hurry.

The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assembly, inside the tank.
To replace it, you have to drain the tank and remove the fuel pump assembly and swap the filter.

From the photo, it looks like you have the original seat.
I'm surprised your bike doesn't have a power commander.
Have you pulled the rear cowl and checked for it?
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 08:19 PM

Sounds like a good deal on the bike. The plastics that came with the bike are probably the same quality as the ones you ordered. RC seats are notoriously hard and uncomfortable. You could send the seat off to be re-packed and contoured for you or you could buy an after-market seat. Sargent gets high marks. SS brake and clutch lines are a nice, cheap performance mod. Turn signals probably don't work because the under-seat temps get high and tend to burn out the relay. Flapper mod and and 9k rev limiter delete are popular, easy mods. Stick with the stock air cleaners, and you don't have ANY options regarding spark plugs. Stock oil filter works well, but there is also the Scotts re-usable, all-metal oil filter that is a sweet piece - expensive though. Passengers won't be happy on the back of your rig (and you won't be happy carrying them), so passenger foot pegs are a waste of money. There is a lot of helpful info on www.rc51.org so stop by there as well. It hasn't been updated in a loooong time, but the info is still relevant. Good luck with your new ride.

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Welcome to the group!

So was this a track bike that being returned to street use?
I have no prior experience with Valvoline motorcycle oil.
For air filters, the OEM filters work fine.

Be aware that you may need to do some trimming to make the Ebay bodywork fit properly. Often times the holes aren't quite aligned and may need enlarging, etc.
Just take your time and don't get in a hurry.

The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assembly, inside the tank.
To replace it, you have to drain the tank and remove the fuel pump assembly and swap the filter.

From the photo, it looks like you have the original seat.
I'm surprised your bike doesn't have a power commander.
Have you pulled the rear cowl and checked for it?
I assume it was tracked.

I figured about the new plastic, nothing I can't manage.

I have not pulled the rear cowl, just the lower fairing, looks uber clean under there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpole View Post
Sounds like a good deal on the bike. The plastics that came with the bike are probably the same quality as the ones you ordered. RC seats are notoriously hard and uncomfortable. You could send the seat off to be re-packed and contoured for you or you could buy an after-market seat. Sargent gets high marks. SS brake and clutch lines are a nice, cheap performance mod. Turn signals probably don't work because the under-seat temps get high and tend to burn out the relay. Flapper mod and and 9k rev limiter delete are popular, easy mods. Stick with the stock air cleaners, and you don't have ANY options regarding spark plugs. Stock oil filter works well, but there is also the Scotts re-usable, all-metal oil filter that is a sweet piece - expensive though. Passengers won't be happy on the back of your rig (and you won't be happy carrying them), so passenger foot pegs are a waste of money. There is a lot of helpful info on www.rc51.org so stop by there as well. It hasn't been updated in a loooong time, but the info is still relevant. Good luck with your new ride.

Bike does have SS brake lines, I'll take the tail off tomorrow and see what I find. How does the flapper and 9k limit work? I'm 90% positive it doesn't have that limiter, because I'm pretty sure I saw 10k today.

Thanks for the info guys!

Oh, and there is no horn, not sure where it goes or what do buy.
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:34 AM

It's funny, but those plastics don't look all that different except for them having a lower half.
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal View Post
It's funny, but those plastics don't look all that different except for them having a lower half.
Yea, that's different, and the rear cowl looks to be different, as well as the headlight area.

Ok, need some help, missing connectors.

I know most of them are the turn signals I believe, but I want to have everything connected that needs to be.

Also, any horn ideas? Where does it go?

Why doesn't my turn signal flasher work? Am I missing it? All wires that I found look good.

What turn signals should I get? Suggestions?

Pics:

Near the ECU

Near the battery

Front signals maybe?

This is the plastic I bought- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220655089814

See the tail section? I assume it's just like this one, so where do I get those lights?

post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:42 PM

sweet deal man, might take you a few weeks to piece it together, but it'l be totally worth it. throw out pass pegs, get a pc3, do an oil change and filters/fluids. enjoy the hell out of the bike.

2003 ZZR1200 - Galfer Lines, EBC HH Pads, Corbin Beetle Bags and Seat, Genmar Risers, Muzzy Full System. - Street.

2007 RSV1000R - Penske triple clicker, Ohlins forks, Ohlins steering damper, Leo Vince titanium full system, race ECU, Brembo mono-blocks, Braided lines, Race battery, etc.. - Track whore.

2004 Hemi Durango - Tow duty
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Bought some oil, waiting on filter.

It has a high mount exhaust, so there isn't pass footpegs anymore.

I'd like a PCIII and different mufflers to slip on, smaller carbon ones possibly.

But first, I need turn signals to get it inspected, and a horn. Any ideas?
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:06 PM

Horn:
http://www.motoduetllc.com/en/allpro...rc51-horn.html
Turn signal Relay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...-/400139623771

2003 ZZR1200 - Galfer Lines, EBC HH Pads, Corbin Beetle Bags and Seat, Genmar Risers, Muzzy Full System. - Street.

2007 RSV1000R - Penske triple clicker, Ohlins forks, Ohlins steering damper, Leo Vince titanium full system, race ECU, Brembo mono-blocks, Braided lines, Race battery, etc.. - Track whore.

2004 Hemi Durango - Tow duty
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, but do you know where the horn and turn signal relay go? I want to make sure I have the wiring and such. It seems as if that relay is universal too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode