2000 51. Hard start and wont idle.? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2000 51. Hard start and wont idle.?

Just picked up another Sp1. Has 15k miles on the clock. Jardine 2 into 1 and a power commander 3r, flapper mod, soft rev, all that stuff for motor mods.. Bike sat for over a year when i got it. It started perfect at the guys house and ran great on the ride home. I put fresh gas in it that night, and The next day i threw on the leathers went for a little more "spirited" riding. Thats when the bike started cutting out/ sputtering a little around 6k rpm. And if i pulled the clutch in to coast on a straight the motor dies. Same thing when i stop and idle. And when i try to start it back i have to give it some throttle to get it to fire. Could this be a prob with the Power commander? or smething else? I changed the plugs and cleaned the filters and adjusted the idle up yesterday. It idles now, A bit high, but still wont start up without twisting on the throttle. Just lookin for ideas. Thanks in advance fellas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Since you have a PCIIIr, if you want to disconnect the power commander to see if it's the problem, you'll also have to also disconnect the PCIIIr connectors for the ignition pulse generator and reconnect the OEM connectors.

They're the red connectors near the front ignition coil in a bundle of connectors protected by a large rubber sleeve. Not the easiest to get to.

Otherwise, if you disconnect your PCIIIr it won't fire.

Also, with the temporary removal of the PCIIIr, it may run overly lean, especially around 5K-6K RPM range.

Last edited by SubSailor; 06-03-2011 at 05:28 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

I said it would idle fine, and it was. Now it started the same thing. Im gonna disconnect the PC and see if that changes anything.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Just went thru the same thing with my SP1. turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. i think it was around 55$ to replace.

pull the tank and air box and try and start it. mine was leaking at that point.

also i hear you can pull the vacuum line off if it's wet (gas) then it's bad.

hope it helps.

disconnecting my PCIII did nothing for me.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 04:30 PM

i have an issue similar (exactly?) like torqueys. my bike sat up for months and i started it weekly. then one day it just wouldn't start. i put it in the shop and had all new plastics etc put on and they got it running. i actually picked the bike up and rode it half a day w/ no issues. i then asked the owner to ride it and compare it's power to other bikes and what mods we could do (in addition to the pair/flapper mods already done). he came back and said he thought he smelled water or sumthin burnin out the exhaust and had one of his shop hands pour 8oz of alcohol into it (i believe there was only 2-3 gallons of gas in the bike). i went to leave and it would not start. they said the alcohol settled to the bottom or knocked some trash loose somewhere. we drained all gas and put in more 93 octane and finally got it to start after hooking it to a jump starter and twisting it WOT. it ran terribly, sounding like it was firing on one cylinder or alternating-- im not sure but def NOT running right and def would NOT idle. hopin it was jus trash, i rode it about ten miles and it was herky/jerky at best and runnin like crap. when i would open the throttle it would jump and GO. i took it back and the mechanic insisted it was an injector. after $120, the injector service says they are operating perfect. he then changed the fuel filter as well. I NEED HELP! these guys have NO IDEA what could be causing it. they theorize a sensor of some type (MAP, or MAF, or possibly even ECM). i'm not wanting to throw parts at this thing til we figure it out. also, the general consensus is if it were computer related, it probably wouldn't run. can anyone* (*read: subsailor) get me goin in the right direction and save me some summer riding time!?

Last edited by jflantx; 06-22-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: omitted a detail
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquey View Post
I said it would idle fine, and it was. Now it started the same thing. Im gonna disconnect the PC and see if that changes anything.
I have a pcIIIr also. I've seen similar issues come up before, and SubSailor is right, Basic Rule: Electrical issues, start with disconnecting the Power Commander and just run on the bike computer, or ecm. It's the quickest way to eliminate the posibility of your Power Commander being the source of the problem.
Also, have you inspected the gas tank, under the seat? You know these sp1 tanks had a tendancy to leak there? If you got a leaky tank, or it has signs it leaked at the weld, then you might have a plugged fuel filter causing fuel starvation. If you haven't already, lift your tank and check for that.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflantx View Post
i have an issue similar (exactly?) like torqueys. my bike sat up for months and i started it weekly. then one day it just wouldn't start. i put it in the shop and had all new plastics etc put on and they got it running. i actually picked the bike up and rode it half a day w/ no issues. i then asked the owner to ride it and compare it's power to other bikes and what mods we could do (in addition to the pair/flapper mods already done). he came back and said he thought he smelled water or sumthin burnin out the exhaust and had one of his shop hands pour 8oz of alcohol into it (i believe there was only 2-3 gallons of gas in the bike). i went to leave and it would not start. they said the alcohol settled to the bottom or knocked some trash loose somewhere. we drained all gas and put in more 93 octane and finally got it to start after hooking it to a jump starter and twisting it WOT. it ran terribly, sounding like it was firing on one cylinder or alternating-- im not sure but def NOT running right and def would NOT idle. hopin it was jus trash, i rode it about ten miles and it was herky/jerky at best and runnin like crap. when i would open the throttle it would jump and GO. i took it back and the mechanic insisted it was an injector. after $120, the injector service says they are operating perfect. he then changed the fuel filter as well. I NEED HELP! these guys have NO IDEA what could be causing it. they theorize a sensor of some type (MAP, or MAF, or possibly even ECM). i'm not wanting to throw parts at this thing til we figure it out. also, the general consensus is if it were computer related, it probably wouldn't run. can anyone* (*read: subsailor) get me goin in the right direction and save me some summer riding time!?
What a mess. I don't understand why you got on the bike and ride it for 10 miles when you had such a hard time getting it started and never smoothing out. Better ditch those guys you're calling mechanics and find a Honda dealership. Ask them to give you a diagnostic only. Probably about $125. Then you'll know what the problem is, how much you can afford to get it fixed, or how much you can handle yourself.

Yes, sometimes dealerships are the last resort, and we all like to rip on them, but generally speaking, you should have trained and hopefully experienced mechanics to be looking at your bike.

I have a sneaky hunch they may not really have changed your fuel filter. Did you see your old one?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Last edited by jondog9; 06-24-2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: afterthought
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
What a mess. I don't understand why you got on the bike and ride it for 10 miles when you had such a hard time getting it started and never smoothing out. Better ditch those guys you're calling mechanics and find a Honda dealership. Ask them to give you a diagnostic only. Probably about $125. Then you'll know what the problem is, how much you can afford to get it fixed, or how much you can handle yourself.

Yes, sometimes dealerships are the last resort, and we all like to rip on them, but generally speaking, you should have trained and hopefully experienced mechanics to be looking at your bike.

I have a sneaky hunch they may not really have changed your fuel filter. Did you see your old one?
as per why.. a) i had been waiting for months to get the bike out of the shop b) it ran perfectly less than 30 mins before c) the mechanic said i couldn't harm it d) it was my birthday-- (not necessarily in that order).
and yep, they changed the fuel filter. i DID neglect to mention that it is NOT starving for fuel but instead getting WAY too much.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 09:48 AM

Ok Jflantx, I can see that. I may have come off wrong, but I still think a dealership diagnostic may be the cheapest and shortest route to finding your problem.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 PM

ok, we finally figured it out! there is some type of diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator that went out causing too much fuel to go thru and even filled the vacuum lines w gas. thanks! hope this helps others!! big thanx to SUBSAILOR! u rule!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode