'01 RC, which brake piston seal is correct? multiple choices - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'01 RC, which brake piston seal is correct? multiple choices

Alright so I got all new seals for a brake rebuild that was way overdue. Nothing new, standard procedure stuff. Couple months ago I go to ronayers and they've got multiple offerings.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID..._BRAKE_CALIPER

As you can see there's two choices for #1, and two choices for #2. Being thrifty, I chose wrong with the cheaper ones. I went with 06451-MCZ-006 for #1, the smaller, lower pistons. They went in with entirely too much pressure and just didn't feel right. Well sure enough they don't hold pressure. No, I didn't put them in backwards, they are not directional. We'll see what ronayers has to say about it, but has anyone run into this before?

'01 RC51, track '02 gixxer6, wife's '02 F4i, '72 Honda CB350 cafe, track miata, Formula Vee w/1915cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Both SP1 and SP2 calipers use two different size pistons.
The SP1 caliper pistons are 34mm and 32mm, while the SP2 caliper pistons are 32mm and 30mm.
So you probably need seal set 1 and 2 for the calipers.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I ordered sets 1 and 2, the problem is according to the fiche you have two choices of each. No further information is given to allow you to make an educated decision, it's pretty much just pick one.

Am I just reading the fiche wrong? I'm seeing two choices of each with different pricing. I've tried calling ronayers but they are closed for the holiday.

'01 RC51, track '02 gixxer6, wife's '02 F4i, '72 Honda CB350 cafe, track miata, Formula Vee w/1915cc

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
The way I am reading this is you need two #1's ands 2#2's. They could have made the drawing a little less confusing for sure.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Alright, well I talked to ronayers and we've got it sorted. Turns out, the customer-view fiche groups years together, but doesn't specify in the description. When you call customer service, their fiche breaks it down further by year and they can see which of the two you need. They said to call anytime you see two possible choices.

Maybe it makes too much sense to specify further in the description. Oh well, got the correct ones on the way and hope this helps someone out.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystahagy View Post
Alright, well I talked to ronayers and we've got it sorted. Turns out, the customer-view fiche groups years together, but doesn't specify in the description. When you call customer service, their fiche breaks it down further by year and they can see which of the two you need. They said to call anytime you see two possible choices.

Maybe it makes too much sense to specify further in the description. Oh well, got the correct ones on the way and hope this helps someone out.
That's why I usually browse MRCycles or IndyOEM.
They only show the applicable part numbers. Makes like much easier.
Before then, I had the same problem when ordering parts from Ron Ayers.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
That's why I usually browse MRCycles or IndyOEM.
They only show the applicable part numbers. Makes like much easier.
Before then, I had the same problem when ordering parts from Ron Ayers.
Hey SubSailor, I started using Indy at your recomendation. Yeah, they got good diagrams and everything I ordred was exactly right. bikebandit is good to compare diagrams, I used to flip back and forth cause their diagrams vary just a little bit. One might show you what the other doesn't on occasion. But Indy's prices always a lot lower.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode