Need rebuild/restoration advice. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need rebuild/restoration advice.

Hey

I got my bike out onto the mountainy hiways last weekend and i think its time i restore/rebuild the bike...entirely. it feels a tad loose. So basicly what i need to do is build a list of parts to start buying and restore this bike. I am asking for the insiders tips on what to replace and what to replace it with to make the bike feel "tight" again. This now project will start once i put the bike away for winter (octoberish)

So first on the list is suspension. Rear shock i think is going...front forks i asked about in an eariler thread howver i would like some exact details. I don't want to spend a ton. i am thinking a stock rebuild/ replace might just do the trick. its honestly stiff enough for how i ride the bike.

Next is fairings. some are cracked and broken, i think i can figure this out on my own though. also i will get an undertail kit. hopefully ill find a used one. new bar ends and new grips as well. Also i bought these mirrors of ebay with turn signals. i wanted the turn signals because i figured it made the bike more visible and drivers oppsising me could see my turn signal (i have flush mounts currently). however i hate them. the mirrors flop around and i always have to readjust them. so i might just make a custom piece. and don't make fun of me...drivers in my city are fucking morons. (pardon my french)

Something else i want to look into is..well i am going to use the term bushings. i know on a car after many years of use, it is a great idea to replace the suspension bushings(control arm, steering, sway bar). now i realize a bike is different, but i would imagine it would have similar wear parts. So what should i replace here, if anything?

Im going to replace my gas tank. I fixed it with another kit thing, but i am after a sp2 tank. however i am still hunting to see if i can find someone to just weld the damn thing. I think it was the gas leak the may have let my rear shock go...effin thing.

As for the engine. its strong. the ignition i think needs to be done, but that is a whatever issue that is easily fixed. that said. i am going to check the valves, check compression/do a leakdown test to get an actual idea for the engines health. anything else you guys would do. i am going to go through the engine harness. i am getting some weird codes, and the service manual is pointing me in that direction (yes the ecu is sercured, but there was a time it wasn't). i think the problem will be under the gas tank. Also, i don't think my bike has the soft rev mod done to it.

I think i want a new exhaust....a full one. because i want more noise and a slightly different tone. the jardines just aren't doing it for me anymore.

Look into the clutch system (minus the clutch as i just did it)

bend the fins back out for the oil cooler/radiators.

change the coolant.

ss brakelines and new fluid. whats the advantage of going with an aftermarket master cylinder?

new rubber, preilli diablo sport corsa 3's. its what the bike came with. i like them, they have never let me down. the wear a bit quick i think, but dry weather traction has really supported me in my "learning experiences".

I am thinking of switching to gp shift. i wanna try and i think i'll like it way better.

I think that just about sums it up off the top of my head. like i said, i am after advice, criticiziums, comments of all kinds. my only thing is i want it done once and right. i don't wannt have to think about a problem with this bike for its fourth season in my pocession. i'll get some pictures up later. Most of this stuff will be ordered online. its way cheaper, even after shipping. i plan to do all the work i can myself. i have tools and the service manual and im good with these sort things. so yea, thanks in advance and lets have a discussion!

Edit: Went through it once again, looks much better.

Last edited by Hellraiser456; 07-11-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Good luck man. Dive in to it I say! My rebuild was not as extensive as your list is, so I can't offer a lot, except on that tank. easy way is to just be checking as often as you can for a used sp2 tank. If you're lucky, you'll find one with the fuel pump still attached.
I think suspension being on the top of your list is a good idea.
I have the SS lines, Big Upgrade imo.
I have a yosh CF/polished mids rs3 setup if you're interested.

And last i just wanted to say, that's a great Edit explaination

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
i know what you mean, things just don't seem tidy and not knowing what is going bad or is still good drives you crazy....makes you feel like you don't know anything about the bike or like you are just waiting for the next thing to break. Thats how i felt anyway. How many miles are on the bike?

Nothing wrong with big mirrors or turn signals....its actually the smart thing to do. It's your life at risk while riding, i'd do everything possible to let others see me and to make sure i can see them. Especially on a daily rider bike.

Suspension is a good idea, change the fluid and seals out. You could also have a fork cartridge kit built especially for your riding style and weight. There are a few guys with aftermarket rear shocks but they are expensive. If thats not the route you want to take i'm sure one of them may want to sell you theres. if not there are a few on ebay.

Most bushings on the bike are good for quite awhile, just try greasing everything up.

Best thing for the tank is to find an SP2 tank, they pop up and that way you don't have to worry about the leak occurring again.

For the ignition system, you may want to consider Scott's coil stick conversion. If not i have some brand new OEM Honda Ignition coils for sale. All you would need is new plugs for a fresh system. Doing the valve clearance and compression is a good idea, i did mine and it gives you peace of mind. Checking the wiring is a good idea, these bikes have a habit of having hacked up wire harness from previous owners. Mine was a disaster, i replaced a re wired the entire bike using a HRC basic racer harness and added in a few extras for street use. If your harness is hacked up you may want to buy a complete untouched OEM harness and re do it....you can buy the rear or front seprately if only half of it has issues. Also check your rectifier (i have one if you need) and your converter box.

Full exhausts are pretty unobtainium at this point. Really hard to find, especially for the SP1. You can barely find good slip ons for this bike.

As far as the clutch system goes, change the fluid and clean the slave cylinder. They have a habit of getting clogged up after awhile especially if the fluid has not been changed out. If you still don't like the feel you can do a few things. Either do the Thorsten cable clutch conversion or upgrade the stock system with new Master cylinders, new slave cylinder, and maybe a steel clutch cable. It gets expensive though.

Same with the brake masters, you get better feel, grab, and combined with steel braided lines gets rid of that sponginess feel. Especially when warmed up. But again they are a bit expensive and usually require mounting kits, reservoirs, and new lines. You may want to consider some new discs and pads too.

Look into the GP shift, you can do it pretty easily and cheap utilizing a VFR shift lever.probably about 30 dollars.

Also check your coolant system and hoses. Mine had quite a few of cracks and leaks.

hope this helps, keep us updated.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Replace all of the bearings...you probably have that in mind but to regain tightness in the steering, thats where I would start.

gts455 hit an excellent point, suspension rebuilds will get the 'ol girl on rails again too.

Have fun.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Hey

Thanks for the advice so far.

My bike is a 2001 with 28000km
it has a jardine rt one slip on and a pc3 usb. everything else is stock(and probably 10 years old).

Can the rear shock be rebuilt? i don't really wanna buy a used shock, the whole idea is to restore the bike. i see that you can get them starting at around 900 bucks, which isn't bad. however if i get an aftermarket one, does that mean i have to get the front tuned to match the rear shock? i don't mind throwing a bit of money at it. its just i don't want 2400 dollar ohlins forks.

bushing i shall replace, is there a good site i can buy those on? is stock ok? the steering bushing do i think need to be replaced, there is play in the steering (by no means alot, or anything scary, just it could be better). can you maybe show me as well which bushings to replace?

New wiring harnesses(engine harness) looks to be about 250. that's not horrible. this is from the partspitstop.com site. i probably shouldn't get a head of myself and just get the harness out and carefully inspect it. its hard to do with it in the bike. if its minor damage, it might just be worth fixing it. Im not too concerned with it being hacked up, as long as its a good job in doing so, can't imagine why it would be hacked up though. the body harness is however, and i think its beginning to rot out in some places.

That ignition kit is exactly what i was going to buy.

Glad to see someone thinks like me with the mirrors. its just these mirrors blow...they are like a universal fit thing, and they are crap. its so hard to find good parts for this bike, especially with out spending my first born child. kind makes me wish i bought a cbr, but they just aren't the same.

fairings, is it worth just spending the 800 bucks on good fairings? i see people using ebay ones with varying success, and the general opinion is they crack easier and only look ok. once again, is there a good site i can buy these on that you guys would recommend? I also need a complete fairing bolt set and mine have fallen out over the years.

oo, i think i am going to buy a seat as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0075.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0074.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0073.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1618  

Last edited by Hellraiser456; 07-16-2011 at 08:45 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

i'm sure the rear shock can be rebuilt....i would just think that the parts would be hard to find and i'm not even sure if the dealer would rebuild it. There is actually a nice used Penske shock for sale for 550....about half the price of a new one. It is not necessary to rebuild or replace the forks if you get a rear shock. It would definitely tighten it up much more though and would balance out the front to match the rear which might be hard to do with the stock fork adjustments. What you can do (this is what i'm doing) is buy a cartridge kit for the front forks. That way you utilize your forks and are upgrading the internals but not spending the extra 1000 dollars for different tubes....Dan kyle does the Ohlins cartridge kits for the RC51s. Scott Gage sells the Elka piston kit for only $225.

http://store.scottsms.com/ELKA-20mm-...20mm-P-KIT.htm

So basically you could have a better setup with more adjustability for about $775.

For OEM parts contact Ben Chady at rc51parts.com he will get you whatever you need at the best price. He can get you a complete used harness (but in perfect condition) for 180. He also sells them them in seperate sections, so if you only need a rear section harness you can get one for $50.

Mirrors are hard.....Magicalracing are the nicest ones you'll find and you can get them with short or long stems....but they are about 280 new. You could always try the bar end mirrors as well, although i don't have much experience with those.

You can get entire fairing bolt sets on ebay anywhere from 30-200 depending on type and if you maintain all the OEM spec bolts. Dzus fasteners are an option as well.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

I am doing something to the front suspension, it needs to get done. as well as the rear. im not really going to half ass it ethier, just like i said, spending 2400 bucks on forks is a waste of money for me. i'll never use them

with replacing the rear shock, i do need to upgrade the forks. How is that elka kit and is that everything i need to do a rebuild? basicly i will probably get these professionally done unless its an easy task. its just something i don't wanna mess around with. looks like i should also get the rear elka shock. reason i don't want to go used is cause in a year the shock could go again. and then id be at square one.

randoim question, does a sp1 fuel pump assembly fit into a sp2 tank?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

You need the right tools to do forks and sending them out or bringing the bike to a local shop/suspension guy is a wise thing to do.

Since you want to completely redo the suspension, here is my suggestion. The Elka kit does not come with springs etc. so i would pull the forks off and send them to Dan Kyle. He will re do the entire internals with the Ohlins kit, set it up for your weight and riding style, and polish the tubes. Last i heard it cost about 600. You cannot beat that. Ohlins is top of the line, you can't beat it and Dan knows what he is doing. He has one of the best reputations and is the largest Ohlins dealer.
And if you're going to do a brand new rear shock just get an Ohlins from Dan Kyle as well. i just bought one. Costs about 1150 and he sets it up with proper spring etc. This way Dan will set it all up for you and your bike and if you ever have any issues....both are from and setup by him. And once again Ohlins is hard to beat and parts are bit easier to get a hold of if you ever need a rebuild way in the future. He is right in California. It's a great deal for a "complete" rebuild and Ohlins has the best reputation in racing.

Sorry, i would have reccommended this to you before but i was under the impression you were happy with stock setup just wanted it refreshed without spending a lot of money, my misunderstanding.

Now used aftermarket shocks rarely go bad....unless its its been raced and beaten down constantly for a long period of time and even then servicing them is not expensive at all. 550 for a shock and a service costs about 89. Thats about half the priceof a brand new shock
to include a service when they do eventually need it.

Yes, fuel pumps are interchangeable.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

Last edited by gts455; 07-16-2011 at 01:30 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Another thing i wanted to discuss was gear ratios. im running the stock ratios, and i am thinking of shorting the ratio a bit. the bike is a just a pig in the city, and that is where i do most of my driving. like first and second gear suck in my opinion, well not for the track but the bike probably won't see a track day. anyway, what are some of the ratios you guys are going with, and how do you like it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
15F/41R or 15F/42R seem to be the average ratio change.
I'm running 15F/41R and it seems to be a good compromise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode