track day RC picked up cheap - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
track day RC picked up cheap

Hello everyone, I just picked up my first rc. It's a bit of a basket case but for the price I couldn't pass it up, gave the kid a ragged out stunt bike for it. Through digging I think I found another frame (titled) just not sure what years of frame will interchange with the 2000, the blisters (put back on before I picked it up) don't work, they light up in front but when I click left the left just turns off. Same with the right. I had an issue with it shutting itself off once while slowing down. Fairings are a must, the kid rattle canned it black. Has the original seat, its being tossed as well.
AMAZING sound, vance and hines carbon (i assume high mount) exhaust, no rear pegs (dont want em anyway) pc3 usb, I was also given a duel map switch, pc3 hub, and a quick shift. It's has been geared (44 rear) not sure yet what stock is. Anyway, I know it looks like hell but its a winter project. This is the FIRST time I've ever been on a vtwin and coming from gsxrs and the zx6 this is simply an amazing machine. I'm very impressed with the torque, wants to stand up in 2nd with out the help of the clutch. Just simply amazing.
Any help with the frame year interchange would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear9820 View Post
Hello everyone, I just picked up my first rc. It's a bit of a basket case but for the price I couldn't pass it up, gave the kid a ragged out stunt bike for it. Through digging I think I found another frame (titled) just not sure what years of frame will interchange with the 2000, the blisters (put back on before I picked it up) don't work, they light up in front but when I click left the left just turns off. Same with the right.
We started talking about frames in your other thread.
But the blinkers: I might know why, assuming you know the wiring is sound. If they're LED's and you have a stock blinker relay, thats why. LED's don't give enough resistance to make a traditional relay work right. Easy fix tho, I went to CycleGear, bought their Aftermarket blinker relay and my rear bulbs and frond LED's work perfectly. $20.

Quote:
I had an issue with it shutting itself off once while slowing down.
First thing to check on these Hondas if you suspect fuel related - Fuel Pressure Regulator. Like thermostats, you gotta replace them once in a while.

Quote:
Fairings are a must, the kid rattle canned it black. Has the original seat, its being tossed as well.
AMAZING sound, vance and hines carbon (i assume high mount) exhaust, no rear pegs (dont want em anyway) pc3 usb, I was also given a duel map switch, pc3 hub, and a quick shift.
That's a hell of a nice little bonus-bag there. You're gonna hate it Just send it all to me.
Quote:
It's has been geared (44 rear) not sure yet what stock is.
Stock is 16/40. Popular swap, -1+1 or -1+2. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a 15 front sprocket, and if indeed that's a 44 no wonder it stands up so easy!

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

I did some further looking and there are no mods. Flapper still there, and the ecu isn't jumped.
I found the eyebrow mod, might do that as well.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

I just checked the rear, its 43. Not sure on the front. It needs a chain so I'm going to go with 15/42 probably. Sent an email to rc51parts.com about the frame And fairings. I was informed though that all the fairings would work however the changes were around the exhaust and with newer model fairings I may have some fab work to do around that area.
The shutting off issue has only happened once in the past 3-4 days of riding. I did notice the temp getting close to 230 in traffic and around 180-190 on open roads. Not sure if the temp hitting 220-230 is right.......
I tried to upload pictures but my phone for some reason won't let me so ill have to go through Photobucket I guess. There is an odd wired in box in the tail that I have no idea what it is, ill be sure to post a picture of that as well.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

And yes it has the stock tail light now, with what appear to be front signal plugs, most likely led.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

All of my files are too large from Photobucket, here's the link for the box I found in the tail.

http://m1221.photobucket.com/albumvi...9.jpg.html?o=3

And what the kid did to the fairings

http://m1221.photobucket.com/albumvi...6.jpg.html?o=0
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear9820 View Post
I did notice the temp getting close to 230 in traffic and around 180-190 on open roads. Not sure if the temp hitting 220-230 is right.......
The RC motors run hotter than others. While you have the motorcycle broken down, may want to order a thermostat and some Engine Ice....it works great!

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:05 PM

Bear, the box in the trunk looks like it could be a speedo healer. If the rear was a 43 it makes sence that someone would install one.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

That long red and black bundled up wire leads from the box to what looks like a button. Not saying I don't believe you, I have no clue, just seems odd to have a speed healer with a long wire and a button. The wire looks long enough to run the length of the bike......
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
It is. It's probably the Speedo Healer's tell tale. You run it to the dash area, then you push the button to get your top speed displayed in the speedometer. I've never used mine, but that's what it sounds like. You can go to SpeedoHealer's site to get the skinny on it. They're a great company.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode