Ruh Roh..... SP1 dies coming to a stop. Restarts but runs like a diesel....?? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ruh Roh..... SP1 dies coming to a stop. Restarts but runs like a diesel....??

So yea, my relatively new to me SP1 is running like garbage. Shes got like 30K on her. PCIII USB. Ran GREAT since I bought it.

I was rebuilding the transmission out of the dodge ram and i needed to make a parts run so hopped on the RC. Trans supplier is 4 miles from my door. I get about a half mile from the place and theres a red light so I downshift and decel....as I get almost to a complete stop....she dies. Hmmm...odd I thought and pulled the clutch and she fired right back up.

However she kinda burped and choked and popped....and then ran like crap. I quickly turned around and headed for home not wantin to get stuck out in the cold rain. I had to be super careful as the roads were wet and every now and then it would choke and then run normal with loads of torque. Spun the rear a few times. Then it would quickly loose power again and choke....sounded like it was running on one cylinder! Exhaust smelled awfully unburnt. Several times it would cough and then run great and then cough and run like crap and have the power of a moped. Mostly it ran like crap. It idled when I got home....and would start back up after I shut her down.

So- I havent had a chance to even peak at her as my primary concern was getting my trucks trans done and back in. Now that thats done with I can figure out whats wrong with the bike.

No FI light at all... should I be looking at the fuel pressure regulator? It ran great one second and then bam it ran like crap. Im hoping its nothing major or expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Sounds like the fpr. That's just what they do.
Pull the small vac hose, turn on the ignition key to get the pump to prime, look for leaking from the fpr nipple. There should be zero signs of any gasoline on that nipple or hose.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

I knida figured it was the FPR...as soon as it coughed I knew I was done for.

Was just nervous it was more serious. But since It would cough and then come back to full power for a split second I knew I still had compression.

I'll check out the FPR and report back. Thanks!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 02:20 PM

Did you get it figured out?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

negative Jon. Bikes in the shed and considering it was a busy snowy and COLD winter I haven't had too much of a chance to mess with it. But its warming up!

I did buy a new FPR - went to install it and now the fuel pump wont prime when I go to start it. So now I am trying to figure out why the pump isn't priming (as from what I have read these pumps RARELY fail)

I did a tiny bit of investigating and it looks like the fuel pump relay is working as it gives it juice to prime but the pump doesnt run. So my guess is I have a bad ground somewhere....or the pump actually did go bad. Thoughts?

If the bank angle sensor was tweaked or the kickstand switch.... would the bike send power to the fuel pump regardless?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:25 AM

Assuming your highbeam works properly, you can take that relay out and switch in your fuel pump relay and your bank angle relay to see if they will power your highbeam. Cycle the highbeam switch a couple times to see if it works properly.
You can also use that highbeam relay to swap into fuel pump relay connector and see if that gets the pump priming.
The factory original relays from mid 2000 don't last forever, you might want to buy a couple from Honda just to have on hand.
You could also check the fuel pump connector for good connection. It passes thru by the back of the fuel tank where the subframe connects to the frame, right under the seat. You can usually see it under the front portion of the rear section plastic on the left side of the bike.

The bank angle sensor and it's relay, sidestand switch, and the fuel pump relay and fuel pump connector all have to be in working order for the pump to prime when turning on the ignition switch.
And of course kill switch has to be set to run.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sorta on the same topic . It has been a while since I had the tank up but can the FPR be replaced without having to remove the airbox??

Mine is not leaking but I may replace it as preventive. Bike sat for a while when overseas but I had Stabile and Sunoco 100 race gas in it and she did well after 6 years.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

FOUND MY PROBLEM! Chaffed/cut brown power supply wire to the fuel pump. previous owner just electrical taped it instead of splicing in a good section of wire. What an idiot!

The FPR can in fact be changed without removing the air box for sure. I have to do mine tonight before I button her all up.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

FYI - Turns out the chaffed wire was only PART of my problem. I fixed that. Replaced the FPR while I was under there.....and it ran great for ONE ride. Next morning - No fuel pump prime again. wtf. So I drain the tank again and test the connections through the fuel pump mount....its bad. It has loosened up. SO I took the green epoxy off the inside and out, and re hammered the brass rivet connection until she was tight again. I used some epoxy and put it back together. Problem solved!

For a while anyway. After a couple weeks of riding her....she bogged down again at highway speeds when I got caught in the rain. Didn't last long and then ran fine again. WTF

So I was cleaning her up the day after....and it seems like maybe the kickstand switch might be involved. As I had it running and pulled the clutch in and brought the side stand up and it died. Then I messed with the sidestand switch and the fuel pump would prime sometimes and wouldnt others. So I def still have something screwed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode