Rear Suspension - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear Suspension

So, I decided to pop the rear passenger seat cowl off and see what she hid under there and what I found was an old registration from 2006. The complete tool set, and owner's manual still in it's plastic.

Simply put, I got the idea of setting my rear suspension and started reading because I had noticed it was a bit stiff previously.

As you will see, and probably already know ( Most of you I'm sure ). Higher the number, tighter the suspension on the rear. When I started looking down there, I was on 6.

Standard is 4. I am 6'4" and 220lbs not small or very leight. So my question is. Do I keep it stiff? drop it to standard, see if that works and go up if it's still too squishy or... perhaps someone would have a better idea.

As for the front suspension. Recently reset the forks to factory to the first line and tweaked them a bit more.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Effectively, all the external preload adjuster does on a shock or forks does is change the initial amount of force to compress the shock.
It does not change the spring rate. Only a change of spring can do that.

For example, imagine a spring with rate of 10 lbs/in with a free length of 10 inches.
If you take a 10 lb weight and rest it on the spring, it will compress 1 inch.

If you add another 10 lbs (now 20 lbs), it will compress another 1 inch (now 2 inches), and so on for every additional weight added until the coils can compress no farther and enter coil bind.

If you preload the spring by 10 lbs (1 inch), and then rest a 10 lb weight on the spring, it will not move since it already has 10 lbs of force on it.
But if you add another 10 lbs of weight, the spring will then move at the same rate as it did before it was preloaded (another 1 inch).

So you can see that preloading a spring only affects the initial spring movement but not overall behavior, except that the spring has been compressed more initially (1 inch), the spring travel has been reduced (9 inches) and can become coil bound quicker if the suspension is compressed quite a bit.

Now if you substitute the 10 lb/in spring with a 20 lb/in spring, and with no preloading, you'll then note that a 10 lb weight will not budge the spring, but a 20 lb weight will now compress the spring (1 inch).

So in this situation, with 20 lbs of force applied the overall spring travel is less (1 inch) with the 20 lb/in spring than the 10 lb/in spring (2 inches) even with initial preloading.

The OEM rear spring rate is 9.8 Kg/mm, 96 N/mm, or 548 lb/in.
The recommended spring rate for your weight (220 lbs) is:
575 lbs/in (10.26 Kg/mm, 100 N/mm) to 600 lbs/in (10.7 Kg/mm, 104 N/mm).

Last edited by SubSailor; 12-11-2011 at 01:46 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 04:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Effectively, all the external preload adjuster does on a shock or forks does is change the initial amount of force to compress the shock.
It does not change the spring rate. Only a change of spring change do that.

For example, imagine a spring with rate of 10 lbs/in with a free length of 10 inches.
If you take a 10 lb weight and rest it on the spring, it will compress 1 inch.

If you add another 10 lbs (now 20 lbs), it will compress another 1 inch (now 2 inches), and so on for every additional weight addition until the coils can compress no farther and enter coil bind.

If you preload the spring by 10 lbs (1 inch), and then rest a 10 lb weight on the spring, it will not move since it already has 10 lbs of force on it.
But if you add another 10 lbs of weight, the spring will then move at the same rate as did before it was preloaded (1 inch).

So you can see that preloading a spring only affects the initial spring movement but not overall behavior, except that the spring has been compressed more initially (1 inch), the spring travel has been reduced (9 inches) and can become coil bound quicker if the suspension is compressed quite a bit.

Now if you substitute the 10 lb/in spring with a 20 lb/in spring, and with no preloading, you'll then note that a 10 lb weight will not budge the spring, but a 20 lb weight will now compress the spring (1 inch).

So in this situation, with 20 lbs of force applied the overall spring travel is less (1 inch) with the 20 lb/in spring than the 10 lb/in spring (2 inches) even with initial preloading.

The OEM rear spring rate is 9.8 Kg/mm, 96 N/mm, or 548 lb/in.
The recommended spring rate for your weight (220 lbs) is:
575 lbs/in (10.26 Kg/mm, 100 N/mm) to 600 lbs/in (10.7 Kg/mm, 104 N/mm).
I get asked this same question all the time. I like this explanation. Thanks

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Smart, Smart... Subsailor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode