Just bought an SP1 - Service/Maintenance Question - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just bought an SP1 - Service/Maintenance Question

Hi Guys

I'm now to the proud owner of a 2000 RC51 SP1, all standard apart from two Arrow Cans. I've spent the last few days cleaning it up and bought a PCIII.

It looks in excellent condition, no odd rattles etc. However It does have a patchy service history. The last stamped service was at 6,000 Miles, It is now on 27,000. The previous owner has given me several receipts for plugs/oil/filters etc over the years, but he is not a professional bike mechanic.

So I want to book it in for a thorough service at a certified Honda dealership is there anything I should specifically tell them to check for? Would the running of the bike with new cans, but without being remapped have possibly damaged it at all? Cheers, Ben

Last edited by zootreeves; 03-30-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I'd say that unless the fuel mix is severely leaned out, then the engine should be ok.
If it was so lean that you had to worry about burning spark plugs or damaging the pistons or exhaust valves, the engine performance would be horrible.

When I first got my bike, the fuel map at mid-range (4800-6000 RPM) was so lean that you could feel the engine lose power, and if continued, would actually misfile at 5600 RPM.
After I had it remapped, so more fueling issues.

I'd have them check valve clearances, and check/replace all fluids (i.e. a full service).
I did that prior to having my bike dyno'd, since it would revving all the way to redline during the runs.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. No loss of power as far as i can tell, but it does backfire when downshifting (couple of pops every now and then). I guess I'll see if the PC3 fixes it when installed.

And I'll ask them to check what you mentioned.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 04:55 PM

This can happen with aftermarket cans or exhaust system.
The engine may be slightly on the lean side, and if the PAIR system is still installed, it also can send additional air into the exhaust to ignite any residual fuel causing the popping.
And if the engine idle is a bit low it can also cause popping as well.
Make sure your idle with engine at normal operating temperature is 1300 +/- 100 RPM.

A Power Commander install and mapping, plus removal of the PAIR system should eliminate the popping. Otherwise, it sounds like normal operation to me.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 08:35 PM

I second what subsailor has said but may also check to make sure that your exhaust connections are not leaking also because if you have an exhaust leak it will suck in air and cause the same problem. Enjoy the bike as I bought a 2001 for my wife 2 months ago and she loves it-I am almost ready to sell my TL1000R to get one....LOL.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Yeah good call the right hand side can has a small leak, where the bottom metal band is riveted around the carbon sleeve. Hopefully i should have a guy that can fix it.

Loved every minute of it so far, I can't see myself going back to an inline 4 ever again! Though i am going to get the sprockets changed because the gearing is a bit tall for my liking.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Dealerships just quoted me a fortune for a complete service, but there is no reason why I can't do the oil/filters/plugs myself and I'll just have them check the valve clearance and carb balance. Heck I can probably even do those reading through the workshop manual a few more times.

But does anyone know where i can find original OEM air filters for the sp1?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 08:12 AM

Your SP1 is fuel injected, so you wont have to worry about syncing carbs or anything like that. If you're gonna tear the bike apart far enough to remove the PAIR system, you might as well do the vavle check while you're there. Its really simple.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zootreeves View Post
Dealerships just quoted me a fortune for a complete service, but there is no reason why I can't do the oil/filters/plugs myself and I'll just have them check the valve clearance and carb balance. Heck I can probably even do those reading through the workshop manual a few more times.

But does anyone know where i can find original OEM air filters for the sp1?
Get the service manual (printer or electronic) as a reference.

For OEM parts, you can try any of the online sites.
Just google for OEM motorcycle parts.
Then compare prices.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:56 AM

let me know if you sell the tl...I would love one in my arsenal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode