Need to help to start hoarding - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Need to help to start hoarding

So after reading the Duckhunter project and getting even more inspired to tear the beast down this winter I think I'm going to need help hoarding. I'm fairly sure that I'm not going to the extent that the duck man did but maybe I'll add more every winter year after year so for now I need help staring to hoard like some of you've done for my project this winter

I have gotten a small start to get me inspired and ready for the summer. I was in need of new tires so I took the opportunity get the wheels powder coated gold. Yes I know some of you have something against gold but I like it and that's all that counts. I'm also doing the frame in the gold as well but keeping the swing arm black. I've also gotten a new chain and sprockets on

After the reading I've been bit by the mod bug a bit so here is a list of some of the things I will be in need of.

-interested in some of the DHC carbon bits
-black sato rear set
-right side case cover
-Scott's steering damper mount
-full set of fairings, open to aftermarket if any of you have had a good experience w/headlights
-vortex gas cap
-full set of rotors and pads
-upgrading the front forks (internals?)
-rear shock
-pro bolt misc
-bad ass exhaust system

I'm sure the list will grow as in forgetting a bunch. Would love some help with sourcing some the parts and if I can help out you hoarders get rid some stuff you don't need anymore and free up some coin for other projects I'm open to that too!

Thanks for any help

Arvid

Last edited by RVT_Raven; 04-12-2015 at 03:09 PM. Reason: forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome! Good hunting and hoarding to you.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
AHu??? F##K!!!! more competition for the last treasures of the RC51 collector world.................

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Need al the help I can get finding the good stuff seems like since some of you love to hoard like 5 sets of some things.

Got to keep it interesting and give you guys a run for the money and see if I can't snag a few good deals from out under you.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Good luck with the build and enjoy the bike. Note that pretty much your entire list is available as new parts. No hoarding or rare parts per se.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

thanks twtoxman. I know most these parts aren't all that hard to find but might take time. I'm sure someone out there have tried some of these things and some are good and some aren't. im sure some of you know some sites that have some of these things for a good deal as well.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 02:21 PM

I'd start by searching for more info if I were you and read, read, read. Bike mods are very much subjective and personal. Plus there are a variety of products generally available for every mod you are interested in. And there can be differences of opinion on what is "good" versus "bad".

And you'll get far more information by searching and reading the websites (here, rc51.org and speedzilla) than you will with a few replies to this thread. There are lots of nice bikes and build threads on this forum with various mods, different parts suppliers, etc. See what you find and what you think, then ask away. Asking specific questions will help you get better answers. Doing your own research is more objective than being swayed by someone else's opinion, and you see more options bits/pieces.

For example, there are people here who have a cult love for sato exhaust for the bike. But it hasn't been made forever. I myself prefer current offerings like ladybird which have full parts availability. Both options are reasonable. Same thing with high mount versus low mount.

Without research you won't see all the options available as people won't take the time to make such a large list. Do some searching and reading, and see what you think and like.

Since you have an SP1 you are in trouble with exhaust options. That has been discussed here before lots. It means you may want to consider an sp2 swingarm swap.

A few points on items in your list.
Lots of good suspension info in the suspension forum, including stickied topics.
DHC is looking to make fairings, you should discuss with him.

As far as deals, it depends on the part and timing. Common parts should be searched to find the best deal as it can change over time. Uncommon parts often only have one source, so there isn't much comparing there. For oem, Partzilla is generally the cheapest option. The site sponsors here have some great parts prices and should be supported. Discuss with them.

Other parts stores include DHC, store.scottsms.com, kyleusa.com

If you are looking for specific parts used, post wanted ads for specific items in the correct forum. You'll get more responses than if you put a laundry list up.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 04-13-2015 at 02:37 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Your right about parts being fairly a personal taste and I've been looking at a few things but not always easy when I'm home trying to spend time with the family and work on the house so not so easy to get my research time then. So I try to do it while in at work but that's not always easy either with Internet speeds from the 90's but get more done here then at home.

I do like the sato exhaust but needs to be a high mount, but I've looked into the ladybird and seems they aren't easy either since I've got the sp1. I have thought about the swing arm conversion but I've decided I'm not all for it Since I would like to not go all crazy and keep it an sp1 and seems to me the öhlins actually works better with the sp1.

I'll give Duckhunter a shout out since I really loved his project and that he's been a real trooper starting to make parts for these bikes so I'll most likely be giving him a hand full of money for some nice carbon parts...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 05:34 PM

I'd suggest there is no rush. Most bike builds here are years in. It sounds like you have a handle on many things already.

FWIW, I don't know why you think an Ohlins shock works better on an SP1. It works just as well on both bikes. Rather, the SP1 has problems with rear tire grip feedback due to the swingarm/frame design and stiffness. It was allieviated on the high level SP1 race bikes with some radical changes, and then carried forward with the SP2 frame/swingarm updates. An Ohlins shock won't cure that issue on an SP1.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
PM sent

Fellow hoarder here

2003 SP2: Everything I could find.
1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L
Dec. 2011&2013, Sep. 2015, May 2019 BOTM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode