RC51 Forums banner

Oil change...did i put too much?

16K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MakisRC51 
#1 ·
did my 1st oil change today went with mobil 1 10-40 and mobil 1 filter (rc51.info FTW), it said it should be between the lines but i didnt know how much to put....did i put too much?...and i know im a noob

any advice on how to change out coolant? havent done it before

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like you're within spec on the oil level window - believe the service manual calls for 4.1 quarts if doing a regular oil change (drain/filter).

You already download a copy of the service manual btw? The link for it is floating around on the board, make sure you get the PDF document - will come in handy!

For coolant (instructions can also be found in the manual), just pull the bypass hose to drain your existing coolant. This hose is located near the right side radiator.

I see you have Engine Ice in the pics above, so you'll probably want to flush the system with some distilled water to get the rest of the existing green stuff out of there (per the instructions on the back of the EI bottle).

I put up a few pics/notes recently in my "finally found one" thread over in the "General Bike Talk" section - give that a gander, might help...

G'luck!

#3 ·
@cobra90gt thanks so much for the reply, didnt know if it was supposed to be in between the lines or like closer to the top, as far as coolant, is it safe to use hose water and then distilled for the last cycle, how invloved are we looking to get the reserve tank out? also thinking about giving the internals a good cleaning got some simple green in a spray bottle any thoughts?

ill be sure to take a look at that thread thanks for the info

#4 · (Edited)
I believe the correct way to check the oil level is this.
Start your engine and let it idle for a couple of minutes on the side stand.
Then kill the engine, count 30sec, to let the oil from the cylinder heads to drain into the pan, and lift the bike from the side stand. Hold it from the throttle's clip on so that it is ballanced on it's own gravity center. At that point you don't need much efford to keep it leveled so you carefully knee down and look through the oil window. Have the front brake lever pressed, during all this proceedure, for safety.
The oil should be in the middle between the min and max indicators (a bit lower or higher is not an issue). If "a bit" is not clear enough then take it as +/-1mm from the middle.
Always do this proceedure on a leveled surface (not up or downhill).
The service manual says 4.12 quarts with oil filter change and 3.9 quarts without the filter.
In my experience, on every bike I service I take the service manual's suggestions in mind cause the real indication is the dipstick or the window at the bottom line.
I remember the Cagiva Canyon that had a minus 200ml quantity indicated in it's service manual due to a factory's typing error and until the maufacturer issued a paper informing workshops on that mistake. lots of motorcycles where seriously damaged :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.