sprockets and chain? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sprockets and chain?

Just ordered a new chain and sprockets. The chain is a DID520*ZVMX*120. The front sprocket is a vortex and rear is a supersprox. Are these sprockets and chain good quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
D.I.D. Is a good brand of chains, not sure about that specific one though, as I have a ERV3. I think the one you have is their new "street" version of the erv.

Vortex is absolute garbage, although the steel front shouldn't give you problems. It is their aluminum rears that I would never use.

In my opinion, supersprox is just overpriced for what they are. Some say they don't even save weight over a standard steel sprocket. Kind of defeats the purpose of the hybrid sprocket when you can buy quality steel sprockets for 2/3 the price.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM

I like my supersprox. I'll agree it isn't as light as the pure aluminum sprockets, but its definitely made better than any steel sprocket I've seen. Not to mention it adds some style. Particularly, on the RC, I like the gold accent. Finally, they have a lifetime guarantee http://www.supersproxusa.com/our_guarantee.php

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
D.I.D. Is a good brand of chains, not sure about that specific one though, as I have a ERV3. I think the one you have is their new "street" version of the erv.

Vortex is absolute garbage, although the steel front shouldn't give you problems. It is their aluminum rears that I would never use.

In my opinion, supersprox is just overpriced for what they are. Some say they don't even save weight over a standard steel sprocket. Kind of defeats the purpose of the hybrid sprocket when you can buy quality steel sprockets for 2/3 the price.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

The lifetime guarantee requires that you purchase both sprockets and the chain from them before you get it. Then you have to ship the whole setup back when the sprocket wears out, and they will decide if the chain was maintained properly. Then you have to buy a new chain and front sprocket to get the rear for free. They will also only replace the sprocket once.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
The lifetime guarantee requires that you purchase both sprockets and the chain from them before you get it. Then you have to ship the whole setup back when the sprocket wears out, and they will decide if the chain was maintained properly. Then you have to buy a new chain and front sprocket to get the rear for free. They will also only replace the sprocket once.
As with any warranty, there are rules. These require some action, but its not unreasonable. If you're not cleaning and lubing your chain then you're doing it wrong. This really isn't a downside to the product.

Furthermore he really asked if its good quality. It absolutely is, and the company stands behind the product.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys I hope my setup gives me plenty of miles before I have to replace them. Got the 520 kit from hard racing odd I gotta pay $20 extra for a 40t cuz they are special order.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackbaz View Post
As with any warranty, there are rules. These require some action, but its not unreasonable. If you're not cleaning and lubing your chain then you're doing it wrong. This really isn't a downside to the product.

Furthermore he really asked if its good quality. It absolutely is, and the company stands behind the product.
My point is that a "lifetime guarantee" with stipulations like that is obviously just a marketing ploy and nothing else. If they really stood behind their products, they wouldn't have those requirements. Instead of a lifetime guarantee, they should just call it a "one time replacement" plan if you buy the whole package.

Lifetime guarantees on wear items like brake pads, sprockets or spark plugs are worthless unless they are free replacements forever and no questions asked. Even then, it's still kinda pointless sometimes. I purchased a power steering pump for my truck from the autoparts store with a lifetime warranty, and they will replace it as many times as I'd like. The problem is that they replace the seals with crappy seals and the pumps last about 6 months. Yeah, I can get a new one every time, but changing them out gets old pretty quick.

Sorry, but a lifetime warranty on something like a sprocket doesn't really mean jack unless it is no questions asked, which would be stupid of the manufacturer to do.

Along with the physical quality of the part, the quality that you are getting for your dollar must be considered. Sorry, but a $90 sprocket with no benifits (other than looks) over a cheaper steel one can't truly justify it's existence unless you are going for form over function.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normlizer View Post
thanks guys I hope my setup gives me plenty of miles before I have to replace them. Got the 520 kit from hard racing odd I gotta pay $20 extra for a 40t cuz they are special order.
Why not just get the 41 tooth? That is odd considering the 40 tooth is what the bike comes with stock.

I'm sure it will work out just fine and as long as it is adjusted correctly and cleaned/lubed you will have no issues.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

I wanted to keep the stock gearing. Didnt wanna mess with adjusting the speedo.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normlizer View Post
I wanted to keep the stock gearing. Didnt wanna mess with adjusting the speedo.
Why not? The stock speed is already in error about 7-8% optimistic at freeway speeds and that error grows the faster you travel so that at about 130mph indicated the error is as high as 12-14%

http://www.rc51.org/gearing.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode