Wrecked 2001 RC51 Project "Stitch" - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wrecked 2001 RC51 Project "Stitch"

Picked up a wrecked 2001 Honda RC51 last week. Sold my SV650 to fund the project, looking forward to a larger v-twin. Have owned a CBR 929, Yamaha R1, and Aprilia SXV 550 in the past.

So far the parts list of needs is:
Left rearset
Clutch reservoir
Clutch handle
Frame sliders
Grips
Fork seals
Chain and sprockets
2 Two Brothers exhaust hangers
Fairing set, Ebay
Tank maybe
Fairing stay
Left mirror
Tires
Want to trade the chrome wheels for stockers I can refinish and powdercoat (anybody want to trade?)

As it arrived yesterday. Beat up and riced. But it starts and runs good!

Will be receiving a whole new fairing set. Previous owner wrecked it, stopped paying on it, and it was repo'd and sold at auction. Clear title.

I think "Stitch" is a fitting name for two reasons. A rebuilt wreck and looks like Stitch from Lilo and Stitch.

Fork seals blown, have a new set on order for $25. Probably trade chrome wheels for some stockers.

The better side, but it has been down on this side before.

Two Brothers exhaust sounds good, but pretty janky with broken exhaust hangars.

Road rash on the left pipe and can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Left rearset broken and bent in.

Impressed the RC has a hydro clutch. Need to replace the reservoir and lever. Have some black clutch and brake levers on order!

Huge dent in the tank, looking for a used tank to replace it with.

Fairings removed.

Chain and sprockets are toast. Previous owner must have never cornered this poor thing. And the tires still have TIRE SHINE on them! Really? That's probably why he went down.

Fork seals, clutch and brake levers, clutch reservoir, new DID chain and AFAM sprockets (15/41 gearing) on order. Currently watching how much a left rearset goes for on Ebay. Plans are to get it rideable, ride it around and make sure a solid bike then piece it together over time.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Here is a video of it running the first day:

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 10:23 PM

Wow.. You have a lot of work on your hands for this one.. But its a labors of love... Nithing better than nursing a rare bike bike into its full glory.. I am looking for some pieces for mine as well.. and will keep an eye out for you... Are you in the midwest or southern part of the US??
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 PM

oh.. I saw some Woodcraft Rearsets both sides and brand new on ebay for 197.. free shipping... If I find It again I will post a link up if your interested in going that route. they are very nice for the price but not adjustable.. but they do set the pegs up 1" and back 1/2"
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 PM

Sounds like it runs good in your video! Sorry I don't have any parts to help ya out. I love the tire shine and brand new shoulders on the tires Lol. Hey I am so curious if this will work. Empty the tank and try putting air pressure into the tank vent nipple on the bottom of the tank. Mabe I'm wrong but I don't think it will take much pressure to pop out the dent? Probably a lost cause looks pretty bad, but what do you got to loose try it!
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 11:39 PM

My bike had been laid down too nothing like yours though. I ended up painting the bike and using tapeworks graphics to still have the stock look. Mabe something like that would work for you. https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7078
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundislight View Post
Wow.. You have a lot of work on your hands for this one.. But its a labors of love... Nithing better than nursing a rare bike bike into its full glory.. I am looking for some pieces for mine as well.. and will keep an eye out for you... Are you in the midwest or southern part of the US??
Southern, I'm located in Houston, Texas. Not looking forward to summer temperatures lol. As for the rearsets, that's a nice price, but not sure if I want to go with aftermarket rearsets that don't fold like stock pegs for the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysixgun View Post
Sounds like it runs good in your video! Sorry I don't have any parts to help ya out. I love the tire shine and brand new shoulders on the tires Lol. Hey I am so curious if this will work. Empty the tank and try putting air pressure into the tank vent nipple on the bottom of the tank. Mabe I'm wrong but I don't think it will take much pressure to pop out the dent? Probably a lost cause looks pretty bad, but what do you got to loose try it!
I don't know if that would work as this dent would have to overcome a lot of metal bend. Interesting thought though. If I can't find a tank within my budget (which I haven't yet) I might try pulling the dent out myself. Like you said, not much to loose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysixgun View Post
My bike had been laid down too nothing like yours though. I ended up painting the bike and using tapeworks graphics to still have the stock look. Mabe something like that would work for you. https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7078
Wow, nice work on your bike! It looks like it came out great.

With the price of full fairing sets from Ebay being below $500 it drops the budget a lot. No way am I buying OEM fairings since the Chinese fairings these days fit decent and can be bought in almost endless schemes from legit sellers. Haven't narrowed down a scheme yet though...
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Welcome to the RC madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chixwithtrix View Post
With the price of full fairing sets from Ebay being below $500 it drops the budget a lot. No way am I buying OEM fairings since the Chinese fairings these days fit decent and can be bought in almost endless schemes from legit sellers. Haven't narrowed down a scheme yet though...
You have a long way ahead of you although I believe you are just the person for it....

I used Chinese fairings before on a friend's crashed Blade..........

........and I was very satisfied from the quality and service of the seller. Seller's are a trap however.....you can never be too sure of their credibility.

Since your fuel tank is wasted anyway, you should try the blowing-air repair. You maybe be surprised from the results. However if it doesn't work, oh well, you were about to buy another one anyway
Just built up some pressure in the tank and hit, the damaged side, softly with a mallet. I believe if you built up too much pressure, it will disform on it's other good side or at it's top

And don't forget to feed the crowd with lots of pictures.....

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
There is a reason those Chinese fairings are so cheap. Don't waste your time or money unless you like having a bike that only looks good from 10 feet away, and cracks or melts when you look at it funny.

You are already going to have to pay someone to paint the tank. Depending on what colors you want, it won't be much more to get the rest painted. The prep work can be done on your own and that will make it much much cheaper. I know I wouldn't even look twice at a used bike wih Chinese fairings, or just the fairings. They are worthless and make your bike look cheap and cheesy.

On the plus side, you are keeping more of your money local, and not sending it over to china where the guy that painted your recycled spoons fairing probably wasn't wearing a respirator and was pumping out 10 sets a day for shit wages. If you have ever spent any time overseas in that part of the world, you would see that it is quite commonplace to paint and polish a turd and sell it to idiots.

If you do decide to get them, just keep the chrome wheels. They will complement each other.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode