new guy question - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
new guy question

hello guys just bought a 2001 rc, i've always wanted one an found a good deal on one so i bought it. my question an has been asked a thousand times but getting use to the clutch, when i let out on the lever in nutral it makes a low growling noise, i pull it in it stops not to sure, second question ive bled an bled my clutch when i first start my ride it feels good about 15 20 min into my ride i have no clutch i barley make it home, just changed the oil mobile 1 4t any help would be great thanks

ill get pic up later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum. My SP1 did that to when I first got the bike and I was not yet familiar with it. Turned out my master and especially the slave cylinder were gummed up with way contaminated fluid. It looked like peanut butter in the slave. So just bleeding the system wont get rid of all that, since the bleeder is on the top, and the sludge will rest down at the bottom. You have to take them apart and clean them out. The master and slave cylinders, that is. Get a copy of the downloadable Service Manual, if you don't already have it, and refer to section 9. Closely inspect the cups and seals while you're in there, I think a rebuild kit only cost around $35.
Good luck, and here's hoping you really enjoy the beast!

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

thanks jondog i forgot to mention its all stock with 15,345miles on it, the clutches should be fine right, then just clean out the master a slave mabey replace gaskets ill try that thanks again

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I would think that under normal use the clutch plates and discs should be ok. But unless you know the history of the bike...
It's really easy inspect the clutch plates and discs. Next time you change your oil, before you fill it back up, you can take off the clutch cover on the right side of the bike, remove the 6 bolts and springs, then carefully remove each plate and disc, MAKING SURE that you keep them in the proper order that they came off.
The Service Manual will give you the service limits of the plates and discs. It's right after the clutch master and slave cylinders in the same section 9.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

its a one owner bike did a vin check dont think it got road much it had dry rot spots on the tires, there the origanal tires, everything is untouched stock as day one lol. im going to try to clean everything first put fresh fluid in it an go from there thanks for everything
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Cool safety first

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester2 View Post
its a one owner bike did a vin check dont think it got road much it had dry rot spots on the tires, there the origanal tires, everything is untouched stock as day one lol. im going to try to clean everything first put fresh fluid in it an go from there thanks for everything
If those are the original tires amigo, you might wanna get some new ones before something happens down the rode...

2001 rc51 upgraded

1999 vtr 1000 "superhawk" sold

2006 650R Ninja sold
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

I all ready did, i was just letting every body know it was orignal when i got it, like i said i went through an fixed alot of stuff on it, now im going through the clutch an all the hoses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode