power commander 3 problems - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
power commander 3 problems

Can anyone give me any advice on the pc3 for this bike? I baught mine and the previous owner says he disconnected it but the bike seems to be very laggy when throttle is applied, bike hiccups every now and then where it looses power and then gets it back later on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
a few things I would suggest

1. fill up w/ top quality gas
2. reconnect the PC3
3. go to the dynojet website, find your current set up and download / install proper map for your bike

Hopefully that will cure ya

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 11:55 AM

Hi there, Do you have all the hardware that comes with it? Download cd rom disc, usb cable??? & if so is the program downloaded to ur computer or laptop? Also a bit of insight on fuel for ur bike, only run 89 octane & not premium fuel. Believe it or not the rc51 produces more hp #'s on 89 octane rather than premium or race gas. Don't believe it then search the forum on fuel. Just trying to help.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 02:13 PM

While I agree that some testing indicates that many liter bikes make a few more horses using 89 octane on a dyno, I would be very cautious running it day in and day out. Pinging can be disastrous, and street use doesn't mimic dyno runs very well. I doubt many of us could ever see or feel the difference one or two ponies would make.

'04 Nicky Hayden

Flapper/PAIR Mod-Ladybird Full Ti Moto-GP -w- Long Cans-Proton Flushmount LEDs
HotBodies Undertail-Tyga CF Hugger-HEL Lines
Custom plate mount w integrated LED brake light
15/41 gearing-PCIII USB-Speedohealer-Carbone Lorraine Pads
Spencer Seat mod-Ceramic dual coat headers

It is a wise man who knows where courage ends ...
and stupidity begins.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 PM

When the power commander is hooked up I would check and see that the throttle trim values are good as well as the cylinder trim values... Maybe the PO was messing with stuff and didn't realize what he was doing.
Would be a good time to reset the buttons and make sure you have a decent map loaded.

No Novels!

Fricken GOLD battery!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1143 View Post
Hi there, Do you have all the hardware that comes with it? Download cd rom disc, usb cable??? & if so is the program downloaded to ur computer or laptop? Also a bit of insight on fuel for ur bike, only run 89 octane & not premium fuel. Believe it or not the rc51 produces more hp #'s on 89 octane rather than premium or race gas. Don't believe it then search the forum on fuel. Just trying to help.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
How did you come to this conclusion?
I've been on this forum for 2 years and never heard anyone say that.
Prove me wrong...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
How did you come to this conclusion?
I've been on this forum for 2 years and never heard anyone say that.
Prove me wrong...
From rogue rc51 RC51.org
"3. In testing various grades of pump gas I consistently found that 87 octane fuel makes 1-2 more horsepower than those exact same bikes ran on Premium 93 octane. We tested five liter class motorcycles (97 CBR900RR, 02 Honda 919, 2000 RC51, 2000 GSXR750 & an 02 R1) & only the R1 seemed unaffected by the octane of the fuel. Now I am certainly not going to tell you to run less than the recommended octane (92) in your RC51 as the specific needs of the motor dictate that a higher octane fuel is needed, but the results are blatant in that more octane does not mean more power."

But please do NOT run 89 or 87 octane in your rc51 it was designed to run on at least 92, it can lead to a lean condition and eventually cause a burnt piston or valve, i have seen this on many different occasions

and if it doesnt lean out and cause a burnt piston the you may encounter detonation or pre-ignition witch are both terrible for your motor, can eventually lead to catastrophic failure of your entire motor

04 Nicky
Jardine slip ons
520 conv. 15/40 RK quick accel kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode