1st ride amazing, pause, result dead battery - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1st ride amazing, pause, result dead battery

I am the proud new owner of a 2001. I picked it up yesterday from a dealership 4 hours away. I threw it in the back of the truck and brought it home. At the dealership, it fired up and test-rode just fine. I was actually quite impressed with the bike.

The bike has 16,5K miles on it and is GREAT shape, or so it would seem.

Today, I get to take the bike out for it's first real ride. The route we have planned is about 250 miles of good old Ohio roads (lots of straight farms roads, with some sections of twisties). At mile marker 132, the gas light comes on and we just happened to be at a town for a pit stop. We pull into the food parking lot and I turn the ignition off. Moments later, we decide to go somewhere else, so I attempt to start the bike, and no battery juice.

I tell the folks...let's go inside, we'll eat, and maybe the battery is just hot due to the 2 hour stint we just did...we'll let it settle and cool off. 20 minutes later, try the ignition, click, click, click. No juice. Luckily, there is an auto-zone 3 stores down. I push the bike to it and pull the battery. 82% charged and the readout says "bad battery". Mind you...the battery was changed out by the dealership 3 days ago...yes...the battery is 3 days old.

So...Autozone charges the battery, 20 minutes later, bike fires up, no problems. We drive 2 miles down the road, fill the bike up with fresh gas and...try to start the bike. Yup, no battery juice . I jump start the bike and we head home. It runs great the entire 2 hour trip home (no breaks mind you) and pull into the garage with no more issues. I was very careful not to stall the engine thru town

At the house, I put the multi-meter on the battery, it reads a cool 13.2. Start the bike, (it starts) and the multi-meter barely drops below 12.7 during start, and returns to 13.2 range once it's idling. I rev the bike, and it barely moves up, and certainly never goes anywhere near the 15.5 range.

So...question...do I have a dud battery, or a dud rec/reg? To me, it seems like a dud battery. But, I'm not the most experienced mechanic out there.

Help is appreciated. Pics will be posted here eventually

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 02:56 AM

I'd say the R/R was suspect, which in turn has damaged the battery because the voltage was dropped to low.I would simply call the dealer and get them to replace the R/R and battery, this could be done at a closer dealer too you?.

2000 VTRSP1
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
You should check your rectifier/regulator output with the high-beam on, and the engine rev'd to 4500-5000 RPM.
The output should be 14.5V - 15V, but not 15.5V.
If it never exceeds 13.5V, then you may have a bad stator coil or R/R.

Check the stator coil resistance as shown in the service manual.
The stator is 3-phase output. A loss of one phase will have a big loss in output.
The system will still charge, but at a reduced level.

If the stator coils check out (each coil resistance is in spec, and no shorts to ground), the I'd suspect the R/R.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

dealer sent new battery. Charged, checked, r/r looks great, I think I had a dud battery. Time will tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode