Front Wiring Harness Soup Sandwich anyone? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Front Wiring Harness Soup Sandwich anyone?

Hey so, i recently picked up my third bike, an sp-1 and love it. She's seen some damage but runs strong.

I have a few questions and or just advice/direction for the front wiring harness (questions about the rear will most likely result in a different post in the future). i have been told what im looking at is a "rats nest" i like the term soup sandwich better. ...smh.

There are hid convert boxes, etc ....i know controversial, but i think i like em, but they are not really the worst part.

On both sides of the bike the front harness wiring and/or ignition switch wire and handle bar switch wire get pinched/bunched up and for the life of me i cannot seem to place it without it getting pinched again or slowing the rotation....

From my searching i have noticed im missing an inner upper and lower cowl. While i see the way thee cables kind of "dangle" over the radiator cap area in the service manual, it just doesnt make sense to me. I feel like i know the answer, but will these cowls/inner fairing ease my pain and give me a place for these cables? In my zip tie marathons i figured even if they wont find me peace, i will have more realestate for my zip ties...

Anyone for a game of "name that undertail"? I have searched through hell and high water (or so it seems) to id it as it does not have tail lights and fabricating them leaves me in the garage..i want to be on the road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
The front inner and lower will help tidy up those wires. But it's still a challenge with the wiring, let alone with extra stuff. I just bought a brand new inner for about $50. I don't know how much the lower is.
That undertail is the same as mine, I've been told it's an older Hotbodies. I've seen plenty of others, but I like this one the best. You just lean the stock taillights against the oval openings. I can take pics if you run into problems with that.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
The lower inner cowl has areas on both sides that (in conjunction with the upper cowl) act as cable routing channels.
There's not a lot of room in the best of times, and that HID converter will make it oh so entertaining to fit it in there.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Fortunately the RC51 has quite a large space behind the headlights, so I would make some aluminum mounting brackets to mount the HID balance units so that they can cool down properly.
However the inner cowlings are quite important whether you keep your HIDs or not.
Most of all they keep your couplings quite dry from water, in co-operation with the dielectric grease you put on them

My Öhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
You just lean the stock taillights against the oval openings. I can take pics if you run into problems with that.
I really love this under tail as well, more over when compared to available options now. It would be awesome if you could snap a few pictures of this for me particularlly how you have it mounted against the circles from the inside..

The square block, in circle opening thing bothers me though. When i picked her up the oem tail light was "angled" in just as you describe. Unfortunately however it was not secured to well at all and continually bumped around and was completely out of place by the time i got home. In my haste i actually ripped apart the oem tailight and had plans on making my own circular mounts for them. And still might try. I wonder if hotbodies originally sold it like this? Also East Toledo sells the inner cowl for 6 bucks cheaper

Quote:
The lower inner cowl has areas on both sides that (in conjunction with the upper cowl) act as cable routing channels.
I think this is exactly what i needed to hear...for a little while there i thought i was going crazy. and the only person entertained here is my girl she's gotten a good kick out of it...smh

Quote:
Fortunately the RC51 has quite a large space behind the headlights, so I would make some aluminum mounting brackets to mount the HID balance units so that they can cool down properly.
So it sounds safe to assume you dont run hids That sounds like a great idea though. They are currently velcroed into the flat portion of the nose, they seem to fit there nicely.... Do any HID users want to share with me there mounting potions? And without sounding like a total newb (to late) which couplings are you speaking of?

Also, thanks a lot guys. A bit of help from people who have been/know where the hell im at is reliving...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 08:14 PM

If Makis recommends it, you can pretty much take that to the bank. He's one of our most knowledgeable members, along with SubSailor, LDH, madbuyer, b.miller123, The Stig, and a few others. These are the names on the top of my mind, cause they post a lot.
Glad you found HondaEastToledo. madbuyer recommended them to me, and that's where I got some of the bits I ordered recently. I couldn't find any cheaper, and they had free shipping a couple weeks ago.
Now off to get some pictures...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

i think you forgot mention jondog9, seriously yours and all the users you mentioned have been invaluable in my searches. I came across madbuyers recommend on east toledo just awhile back, and did a lengthy comparison on prices between them and other competitors that night and they pretty much got it, in some cases by a considerable difference. There shipping prices are rather high, specially for the smaller parts. But profit needs to made somewhere. pictures would be most appreciated, if you could imagine, and im sure you can the rear wiring is worse off than the front...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 PM

Ok, picture's wortha thousand words right?
The picture of that rubber bushing cut diagonally, is an extra gas tank bushing I had left over. You might find something more suitable. It's 3/4 inch thick.
If you notice in that same picture, I trimmed off a little tab in the middle off the black bezel. That gives the clearance to hang your relays on the tabs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0031.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	3474   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0032.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	3475   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0037.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	3477   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0036.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	3478   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0039.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	3479  

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboojackson View Post
So it sounds safe to assume you dont run hids
No I don't.....so far a pair of OSRAM night-breaker bulbs are getting the job done very well for me. Why get in the trouble to pay and install HIDs?
And I don't forget how I speak names on others that coming on the opposite lane with HID bulbs installed on NON HID headlights and their beam strikes me directly in the eyes.
The HID bulbs need their own headlight mirror to spread the light correctly otherwise you just blind off the other way drivers.
Just my opinion......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboojackson View Post
And without sounding like a total newb (to late) which couplings are you speaking of?

My Öhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
That's what I did as well.
Installed OSRAM/Sylvania bulbs in place of the OEM bulbs. Nice and bright.
Not as bright as HIDs, but better over OEM bulbs.
The RC51 had the best headlights of any bike I've owned so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode