RC51 Forums banner

2001 RC-51 help

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  yellow00tlr 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 RC-51 that will not idle and looking to see if anyone has any ideas of how to fix it. It is not throwing any codes but is very hard to start and will not idle at all. Have tried adjusting the idle knob, changed spark plugs, disconnected the power commander and checked for any loose or bare wires and still runs the same. If you let the bike idle and hold the throttle steady around 1500 rpms you can hear that it wants to idle faster then it drops back down, it seems like it is not getting enough fuel, so I am looking for help as I am about ready to part it out and get something else. Wondering if it could be a sensor or just looking to see if anyone else has had this problem and was able to fix it. I have also checked for kinked lines and have a fuel filter on order and also wondering if a low battery could do this. Since we bought the bike in January it turns over alot slower than my TL1000R but I thought the RC might have highr compression so that was why. Anyway thanks for any help on here and sorry about ranting-just getting frustrated as my wife is getting upset as this is her bike and she has only ridden it for about 1 month.

#2 ·
Actually the TL1000R has higher compression than the RC51.

I'd check your battery if it's rather old.
It should have around 12 volts when not running, and the charging system should put out around 14 volts when running.

You can pull the battery and put in on a charger and let charge. Then let sit until the next morning or two.
If it's not holding at 12 volts, you have a bad cell or two.

Also make sure your battery posts are clean and not corroded. The corrosion will cause much lower current flow both charging and starting the bike.

Also check the battery ground wire connection on the frame and make sure it's making good metal to metal contact.

#3 · (Edited)
Just checked the battery and it is fine along with all the connections. The bike runs fine at speed but will not idle-i have the idle screw adjusted all the way in and still will not idle. Ran it for awhile this morning and still no codes so do not know where to turn now. Would the fuel filter cause this or is there a sensor I should look at? Could it be an air leak somewhere?

#5 ·
Not at the time the problem started-I had just bought the bike and had it for 2 weeks when the problem started and had not touched the bike at all. I am going to take everything apart and check the vacum lines and the butterfly valve boots. Any suggestions on where to look?

#6 ·
Choke cable???

#7 ·
Okay I changed the vacumn lines and looked over the boots and put everything back together and still runs the same. I am now wondering about the throttle position sensor, do they go out and how do you change it as it looks like you would have to take everything apart to get to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.