Jgos929's SP1 refresh - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jgos929's SP1 refresh

After a few years I've since stumbled back onto a RC51. If you've seen my "i'm back" thread in the welcome section then you know my story. Had a 2000 model back in 08 rode it for a year and then moved on. I always loved the bike so when I had a chance to get another one I jumped on it. I traded a 97XR400R motard I built for it straight up.

I spent the weekend looking it over and it doesn't need a whole lot of work just a little TLC. Here is what I started with.

Last edited by jgos929; 09-17-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

As you can see there are some paint chips, cracks etc in some of the plastics. Oh yeah and the damn thing is painted yellow!!! I will say it's somewhat of a good paintjob and the decal placement is pretty spot on on both sides. The yellow is growing on me a little bit I must admit. But it wont stay yellow for long, I'm going with the Castrol theme and yes I'll take my chances on the Ebay replica plastics. I've seen more good ones than I have bad.

Anyways after looking around here is what I came up with.
A clutch lever that looks like a half moon

And a shifter that seems to be bent the opposite way of the clutch lever??? When you figure that one out let me know.

Grinded down brake pedal

Janky undertail wiring (pretty common these days with most bikes) but this undertail uses the stock tail light so I dont get the wiring.

I was told it had a new chain/sprocket on it which from what I can tell it is but the chain is clearly the wrong size. I dont have to count the links to see that. The wheel is pushed way to far up into the swing arm for comfort and with it where it's at the chain is still on the tight side. Im not sure if I should just get a longer chain or go ahead and get a whole new 520 kit just for peace of mind?

EVAP still on there

It still had all the oem stuff on it like the EVAP, PAIR and a working flapper. So all that will be modded soon. I went ahead and did the flapper mod since its easy but will remove the whole system in the upcoming weeks.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

I went ahead and did some general maintenance over the weekend to make the bike my own.

I did an oil/filter change with K&N filter and 4qts of Castrol 10w-40 4T. Drained the crankcase breather tube (which was half full). Flushed and changed the coolant. Bled the front brakes and put in new Belray DOT4 synthetic fluid and just from a fluid change alone man did the brake feel really come in. The fluid I pumped out was as dark as used oil and kinda creamy like some how water got mixed in with it. I know brake fluid absorbs moisture but this stuff looked bad, like when you blow a head gasket on a car or something. I will do the clutch fluid next time as I was running out of time yesterday and didnt get to it.

I had a taillight and both front blinkers burned out so I replaced all the bulbs. The fuse for all the lighting was blown so I replaced that and all is well. Why it blew who knows.

The grips were the originals so I replaced those with some new Renthals

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

All in all I'm happy with the bike. It doesn't have any issues I cant fix or make better. It seems to run fine and the HMF exhaust (dont know much about them) sounds great and I looooove the high mounts.

Mods and updates to come.
Levers (received/done)
SpeedoHealer (received/done)
Front Pilot Power (on order/received) it has a new PP on the rear but the front is an old Bstone BT015
VFR800 shift lever so I can swap to GPshift (received/done)
Castrol theme plastics (probably order those next week)
Remove EVAP
Pair Mod (done)
Remove flapper
Paint tank after mounting new plastics
New 520 kit (received/done)
PowerCommander
Get wheels powdercoated white

Thats about all I got for now. I have a track weekend (not on the RC51) on the 22nd & 23rd so anything with the bike will be on hold till after that. I hope to have the levers in a couple of days so I can get it out and atleast ride it to work and back on Friday before I leave for the track.

After a good cleaning and a hit of Plexus this is what I got

Last edited by jgos929; 10-03-2012 at 11:42 AM.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Are you keeping this one on the street?

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
Are you keeping this one on the street?

Yes I have a 2008 R6 that I Track full time
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Levers just showed up, I'll get these on tonight. Shorty brake / standard clutch
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Just got my new 15/42 sprocket/chain combo in the mail along with my new VFR800 shifter so I can swap this thing over to GP shift.

The weather is supposed to be sketchy this weekend so I'll have some time in the garage to get this stuff installed and do the PAIR mod and install some new plugs.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Just got a couple of more items in. Speedo Healer and harness

EK 520 screw type masterlink. These things are awesome. No more jacking with a press to rivet the ml.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Some updates

Made the swap to gp shift.

New chain/sprocket. Turns out the previous owner left the stock 16t front on and just replaced the rear with a 42. That's why the heel was pushed so far forward.

I like this spacing much better

About to get started removing the pair system, changing the plugs and installing the speedo healer. I forgot how much of a pia this process is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode