Mileage question, please give some inout - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mileage question, please give some inout

I'm searching for an rc51 and came across a very high mileage bike. However it looks amazing and sounds very good as well. I know from a few friends bikes that if taken care of these bikes last a long time, but I'm looking at 75k on the ticker. Would anyone touch this bike for the right price? It's a 2000 and I could probably get it for around 2700-2900 if I was serious about it. Any input or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's trash. Buy it and I'll take it off your hands....

If not, then:

Verify maint. records/history and if you got the coin take a chance on it. Unless you are hard up for a right now RC then I would look at something a little less..enjoyed. (that's not to say it is a shit bike)

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I wouldn't bother. Not to say that the RC51 isn't a good bike to keep forever, but 75k is just a ton of miles. That is a ticking time bomb waiting for oval cylinder bores or a spun main bearing. I'd be suprised if the manufacturers designed our bikes to go much beyond 25k or 30k miles.

You could probably find one with under 20k for that much.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Bikes will last a ton of miles with good owners and maintenance, and the opposite is true. If you want great and low miles see what that will cost you in your area.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for your input guys. Turns out the guy still thinks its worth 3800-4000. I'd ride a huffy before spending that on a 75k mile rc. So the hunt continues. Thanks again for the advise.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
also febs...if he has done any sprocket changes the odometer most likely is not reading correctly....not to say he doesn't have a lot of mile but I doubt he has 75K on it

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
If your really interested in it, stay in touch with him....it will eventually dawn on him that he will never get what he's asking, that's when you usually get the email asking you if your still interested. That happens to me almost everytime. I'm actually looking at buying a 2001 Indian and the guy has already dropped it 1K without me asking. Regarding the mileage, be careful and open to the fact that you may need to do some work to it. I know how I ride and maintain my stuff, 75K isn't a deal breaker....but it's not always easy behaving yourself on a RC.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febs View Post
Thanks for your input guys. Turns out the guy still thinks its worth 3800-4000. I'd ride a huffy before spending that on a 75k mile rc. So the hunt continues. Thanks again for the advise.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/3320558703.html

Try this one.....just ride and go!

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I also saw this in the same price range:

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8104
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
try this one too Febs:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3363165967.html

2001 rc51 upgraded

1999 vtr 1000 "superhawk" sold

2006 650R Ninja sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode