Engine vibration - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Engine vibration

I am a new owner of a 2001 SP1, and looking for some insight on engine vibration, is it normal or is just my imagination? A little background, I purchase the bike about two weeks ago and the only time I rode, other than when I test drove it, was when I pick up the bike which was about an hour of drive time. The bike is stock, but the right exhaust had a dent and a few deep scratches so I found a pair online in almost perfect condition and replaced them and at the same time I replaced the oil with fully synt. When I took it out for a spin I notice substantial vibration when I accelerate it does not matter which gear or RPM is in as long as I am opening the throttle it vibrates from under the engine. So went home and put back the old exhaust and took it for a spin and still same vibration.

The bike starts right way, it idles perfect, no smoke,..there is no power loses, it drives fine other than the vibrationůSo my question is, is this type of vibration normal or is it just my imagination? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:40 AM

I don't know. The 51 vibrates alot more due to it being a vtwin. If it is truly bothering you then pull all the fairings off and look at the motor mounts to make sure one of them is not broken or cracked. Judging from the scratches and dent in the exhaust it sounds to me like its been dropped which is no big deal. I think you are good
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks jgos929, i will be checking the engine mounts,..i know its sounds silly but since i had not driving it for too long i am not sure if this type of vibration was normal as i cannot recall if it was vibrating this much when i pick it up. And when i replaced the exhaust i was thinking it might be an exhaust leak or something..

Question, what would be the best way to find out if there is an exhaust leak?

Thanks.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 AM

If you have stock exhaust then you should be able to here it. While you have all the fairings off fire the bike up and listen closely to where the headers meet the heads and you'll here a popping sound. Or while the bike is cold start it and quickly run your hand around where the headers meet the heads and you'll be able to feel it blowing out through a small leak. Do it quickly though because the exhaust gets hot quick and I wouldn't want you to burn yourself. Trust me you'll know when you have an exhaust leak. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode