1st gear select problem - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
1st gear select problem

im sure ive seen someone on here with this prob b4. when im slowing down towards a junction, i step down though the gears till the gears wont click down anymore, so i asume im in first when actually its in second! this doesnt happen all the time but it can make pulling away at junctions from standstill very awkward and potentially very dangerous.

the werid one is when im slowing down and the bike goes into first and the gear engages, then i stop and obviously pull the clutch in and get ready to go again, i dont touch the gears cos my foots on the ground, then i go to pull away and the bike is in second! its getting extremely annoying, but like i said it doesnt happen all the time.

an ideas whats wrong? im hoping its not a fucked gearbox and maybe just some kind of selector or adjustment thats needed.

Honda SP1.5 owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

can no one help me with this? im sure ive seen others with 1st gear probs b4

Honda SP1.5 owner
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is the gear lever returning to normal position aftrr down shifting or does it stick down?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin chief View Post
Is the gear lever returning to normal position aftrr down shifting or does it stick down?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
That's the right question, as that would indicate if the return spring was ok as asked in the op's other post.

If the shift lever is returning to a normal position then I would delve a little further, but from your symptoms it is pointing to a shift fork(s) and or shift drum....

Unless someone else wants to chime in, please let us know if the shift lever is returning to a normal resting position with spring tension up and down.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
If it were the return spring, I would expect the problem to happen on most gears when down-shifting, since it is only 1st, I would lean towards the shift fork too.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

its returning to normal position, as if theres nothing wrong with it. the gears go all the way down into first when moving at a bit of speed, but not all the time when im stationary. then when i pull the clutch in (at standstill) and ready to move off, and its gone into 2nd gear. its like it keeps moving from 1st to 2nd automatically when the clutch is in at standstill

Honda SP1.5 owner
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

forgot to mention that the clutch lever is gettin a little heavy, you thing it might need a new clutch altogether or just the fluid changed

Honda SP1.5 owner
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
If the clutch lever is getting hard to pull, I'd first check the condition of the hydraulic fluid in the clutch line.
Try bleeding the line and check the condition of the fluid.
If it's cloudy or milky, then its absorbed a lot of water moisture.
I've seen that stuff get really thick.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When you say, "Step down Through the gears" Do you mean you pull the clutch in while your coasting and try to go from say 6th or 5th to 1st without any engagement until you are stopped and then assume your in first? or do you downshift through the gears letting them slow you down along the way till your stopped? I don't know of any bike that you could put in 6th gear running or not and be able to step on the shifter and get it to go all the way to 1st without just a little engagement. Not wanting to call out or blast on one of my RC brothers but not sure if this is a bike issue. Mine is a 2000 bone stock with 4500 miles and it won't do it. neither will my 78000 mile F3. We may need more clarifying info on this one in order to help.

Colt
00 RC51 #1119
97 CBR F3
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Banned

We're only working with the info given, I'm going to assume the op had gone through basics ie; fresh fluid, engine oil and that the op is not new to bikes and can ride and has a general understanding of how his bike has been running.

I realise that his description is rather vague so the insight given is all general, we did not say tear the engine down we merely gave him a few avenues as to what "could" be the issue...take all advice with a grain of salt until it has been inspected by someone qualified.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode