Please Weigh-in / Request for Expertise - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By Wibbly
  • 1 Post By PlymptonRC51
  • 1 Post By Dutchy
  • 3 Post By RC1237V

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question Please Weigh-in / Request for Expertise

Hello - I'm looking to benefit from the collective wisdom here. Any thoughts, advice or info would be genuinely appreciated.

In short, I am kicking tires on a 2000 with low miles. I'm aware of some of the differences between the SP1 and SP2 models but given my riding intentions for this bike (mostly street, occasional trackday just for fun) are there any compelling reasons to not purchase an SP1 and only consider SP2s?

Thanks, eh?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
The sp2 is a better bike generally. It doesn't have issues with leaking fuel tanks or radiators, and has nicer wheels and swingarm. Perhaps most importantly the sp2 has a ton more exhaust options. If you have an sp1 and want to put on a slip on exhaust, you'll more than likely need to purchase an sp2 header and slip ons for an sp2

This doesn't make the sp1 a bad bike (We will have a storm of sp1 owners in here soon screaming about how the sp1 is more "raw" than the sp2, but what they mean by that is it's poorly tuned from factory, the sp2 has a better ecu)

You won't go wrong with either, but if you can find a nice sp2 it is likely to be more problem-free than its older brother. You'll find that a large number of sp1 owners have put sp2 parts on their bikes.
Joe XR and jeosbor1 like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
The 02 that is for sale on the forum, that you asked if was still for sale, is a great buy !!! Has a lot of expensive parts already on it, and shipping isn't that expensive either. I would imagine you could have it shipped from Oregon to Idaho for around $600
dansp1 likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
For your intended purpose it will be fine. The money saved versus a SP2 can be invested in upgraded suspension.

If budget doesnot come into play, buy the SP that gives you the most itch...... :-)
jondog9 likes this.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlymptonRC51 View Post
The 02 that is for sale on the forum, that you asked if was still for sale, is a great buy !!! Has a lot of expensive parts already on it, and shipping isn't that expensive either. I would imagine you could have it shipped from Oregon to Idaho for around $600
OR, I could ride it out there for you for less.....
jondog9, chuckhunter and Joe XR like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode