misfire, or hesitation problem - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy misfire, or hesitation problem

hey guys, just purchased another 01 rc51, and the bike misfires when it gets warmed up, and especially when the bike goes over bumps.it acts almost exactly like a car would having water in the fuel, or a carburated bike would witha piece of dirt in the bowl. there are no fi lights and the bike will do it seemingly at its will. so its not consistent. however it it consistent when it comes to going over heavy bumps. im guessing its electrical, as ive already checked the battery terminals for tightness. The bike has a pc3 usb installed, along with a full hindle exhaust, and k n air filters. (im aware the air filters harm the bikes performance) i removed the flapper, along with the pairing system. im thinking that its maybe i wire rubbing the frame somewhere, but ive heard rumors of bank angle sensors, and kickstand safety switches, and so on. any suggesstions on where to start would be greatly greatly appreciated. thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 02:44 PM
RC51 Forums Moderator

Send a message via AIM to 1ofakindRR
I'd say start with the PC3 map and the harness going to the PC3. Worse comes to worse you're going to have to check out every aspect of the fuel and ignition systems.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

i actually pondered if the pc3 i had would cause this large of a problem, but i am pretty sure im in route to finding my problem. i took the tail section of the bike apart looking for loose, frayed or rubbed wires. i couldnt see any, so i started the bike, then started wiggling and moving wires and connections. when i picked up the ecm (witch wasnt secured very well on an aftermarket undertail) the bike started sputtering, misfiring etc. so my solution was to coat every pin in the ecm connecters with a good coat of some quality dielectic grease. then i velcro taped down the ecm on a clean secure surface in the tail section. i took it for a spin yesterday over some pretty hard bumpy roads, and gave her hell. seems to have solved the problem. (knock on wood) thanks guys for reading

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 02:46 PM
RC51 Forums Moderator

Send a message via AIM to 1ofakindRR
Very nice. Glad to see you fixed the problem *wood knocking*

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 02:45 PM

Im having the same problem! I have a 2003 with two bros. slip ons and have not yet installed a power commander. I bought the bike about two months ago, and all of a sudden now the FI light comes on and the engine sputters/bogs whenever I hit a bump or dip and ALSO whenever i crack the throttle back. The FI light stays on for a moment the bike backfires a bit and then the light goes off and the power comes back on. Ill go check my ECM, as I too have an aftermarket undertail and see what happens. Hopefully mine is such an easy fix!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 03:08 PM

Well I messed around with the wiring in the tail yesterday looking for loose connections and to see how well the ECM was secured. The ecm is on a bracket connected to the subframe and isnt going anywhere. I had the bike running in the garage and was moving a few loose wires around, but I could not get the bike to reproduce what it has been doing to me on the street. I ended up using some velcro anyway to keep some loose wiring in place, and to my suprise it seemed as if the problem was solved! i rode it quite a bit yesterday, over speed bumps, and railroad tracks etc. with no problems. UNTIL this morning i was cruising down the street and it chugged out on me twice, I didnt even hit any bumps or anything. I just got back from a short blast through the canyons though, and not one problem.

I dont even know where to start looking. Any suggestions?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 07:35 PM

I am having the same problem. I have a 2001 rc51 and becuase of their infamous leaking problems with the gas tanks i recently repleac3ed the gas tank. Well the shop that replaced it I THINK screwed something up because the day after i picked it up as soon as i hit a bump the fi light came on and cut my engine off. It cut back on after about 20 minutes then did it twice more, taking about 20 mins to work again. After the third time it rode just fine back to the shop and they dont know whats wrong with it.... what do i do?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasvince View Post
I am having the same problem. I have a 2001 rc51 and becuase of their infamous leaking problems with the gas tanks i recently repleac3ed the gas tank. Well the shop that replaced it I THINK screwed something up because the day after i picked it up as soon as i hit a bump the fi light came on and cut my engine off. It cut back on after about 20 minutes then did it twice more, taking about 20 mins to work again. After the third time it rode just fine back to the shop and they dont know whats wrong with it.... what do i do?
Whoa, thats way more extreme than my problem, mine only lasts for a moment. Thats very odd.Maybe they damaged some wiring?? Im almost positive mine is an electrical connection issue, I just dont know where to look... haha
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
The main wiring harness routes very close to the left of the fuel tank pivot as it routes over the rear section of the frame. Too close for comfort in my opinion.
It is very easy to pinch or damage the wiring harness when raising the tank if not routed properly.
When I replaced my harnesses last year, I spent a lot of time making sure everything was safely of of harms way.
Even now, if I raise the tank I take it real slow and double check the clearance.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 05:33 PM

Sorry to bring up an older thread but I am having a similar issue to this and have searched and couldn't come up with anything. I noticed driving home on the highway my 00' lost one of the cylinders for five seconds and then everything was normal for the rest of the way home. Two days after that I was riding and I lost one of the cylinders completely so I stopped at a gas station did a visual inspection but not much to see. I drove home two miles while it was still occurring and as i turn on my street it started running perfect. I have no FI light coming on. So now I have started it every day but haven't been able to duplicate it yet. I am doing a track day in a couple of weeks with limited spare time to diagnose this and was wondering if anyone had a similar problem to this and might be able to help me out... Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode