PC II. Bike running lean - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PC II. Bike running lean

I have a Power Commander II and its telling me my bikes running lean. I bought it used and don't have the software/maps. Any advice on how to make the mixture richer. I also believe this is the problem why its running at higher temperatures. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 AM

You should finda a website to down load a map thats close to the mods you have. Thats if you have the cable to connect to the Power Commander. If you dont, borrow one or buy one. Better yet, get it on a dyno and have it custom mapped.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:20 PM
RC51 Forums Moderator

Send a message via AIM to 1ofakindRR
Custom map is the way to go. They compensate for every bikes flaws because no 2 bikes are the same. There's altitude, amount of ethanol in the mixture, mileage, weight of rider ect. A bit pricey but well worth every penny.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighRC View Post
I have a Power Commander II and its telling me my bikes running lean. I bought it used and don't have the software/maps. Any advice on how to make the mixture richer. I also believe this is the problem why its running at higher temperatures. Thanks
How is your pc2 telling you your bike is running lean??? I have a pc3 which is obviously newer and better than a pc2 and it doesn't tell me or show me that. I don't think I'm wrong on this even though occasionaly I am. Isn't the only way to tell if the bike is truly running rich or lean is to get an a/f reading on a dyno or get an o2 sensor installed in the exhaust.

What do you have that is telling you this cause I WANT IT !!!!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
That would be a nice data logging feature.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

The PC has three buttons along the bottom labeled low rev, mid rev, and high rev and it has a small display on the left labeled lean at the bottom and rich at the top. You choose which rev and then give it that (i.e. click low rev and give it low revs and so on) then on the display a light goes up, in my case it stays low indicating its running lean, it does this at all revs. Maybe this is completely wrong but it seems to make sense to me.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 07:09 PM

Running lean will most definitely cause higher temps!
Ever heard the phrase "melted a piston"? Yup. That hot.

-Tony B
00 RC51
06 Evo IX
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
The PC has three buttons along the bottom labeled low rev, mid rev, and high rev and it has a small display on the left labeled lean at the bottom and rich at the top. You choose which rev and then give it that (i.e. click low rev and give it low revs and so on) then on the display a light goes up, in my case it stays low indicating its running lean, it does this at all revs. Maybe this is completely wrong but it seems to make sense to me.
The buttons don't tell you the measured A/F ratio.
They indicate the amount of deviation from the current map baseline at that rev range (low, mid, hi).
So if you have a map with a certain A/F ratio, if you select a rev range and modify the setting with the button(s), the A/F ratio will reflect the change.
You need a sensor to measure the actual A/F ratio.
The RC51 never had a lamba sensor like newer bikes do.
If you want to modify your map, then download the software form Power Commander's site and install on a laptop along with the cable (serial for pre-PCIIIUSB). It has finer adjustment than the buttons.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I can see that thin air in Colorado is getting to you. Everything you just said is completely false as sub pointed out. That green light is just telling you basically where your at in the map and at what throttle position. Its not telling you if your rich or lean. Plop down the $275 or whatever it cost and go get you a custom tune and then the tuner will explain to you how it all works.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Subsailor, I guess I assumed wrong. Could you explain in a little more detail how I can modify the settings with just the buttons? Thanks

And Jgos929, bite me brokeback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode