Strange Electrical Problem - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Strange Electrical Problem

I took the RC out yesterday morning for a dose of twisties. The bike hadn't been fired up for a couple of weeks, but cranked, started, and ran fine. I was a little short on petrol, so I stopped at a station in the closest town (around 15 miles from home) for some. After the fillup, the battery allowed me just two feeble grunts, and then nothing, deader than tin. Fortunately, my stop was near the top of a nice, long hill, so I was able to bump start and make it back home. After the ride home, the bike restarted without a problem. Fifteen minutes on the Battery Tender, and the indicator said charged.

Any theories? None of it fits my experience with weak or dying batteries. After that first start, the ride to town (which was spirited, hitting triple digits a couple of times) should have charged the battery further rather than pulling it down.

'04 RC51, '04 ZX10R, '03 ZRX1200R (big, comfy couch).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 06:05 PM

My guess would be regulator/rectifier.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
My guess would be regulator/rectifier.
Agreed.
Throw a meter across the battery posts and hold the engine at around 4000 revs. You should be getting around 14-14.5V.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:04 AM
RC51 Forums Moderator

Send a message via AIM to 1ofakindRR
Yup. May also have a bad cell in the battery. The rectifier is going to be throwing some crazy high numbers so test after the regulator... Like he said about 14 1/2 volts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 02:26 PM

How did you fix this?

Marco427 - can you tell me how you fixed this? I have the exact same problem. I only get one chance to turn the starter and it sometimes even cuts out on me when I pull the clutch in after engine braking... But I don't always experience the issue i.e. the battery appears to operate at full power sometimes.

Some of the material out there suggests it could be a bad ground or not enough spark coming through the plugs.

Let us know what you found!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorPossum View Post
Marco427 - can you tell me how you fixed this? I have the exact same problem. I only get one chance to turn the starter and it sometimes even cuts out on me when I pull the clutch in after engine braking... But I don't always experience the issue i.e. the battery appears to operate at full power sometimes.

Some of the material out there suggests it could be a bad ground or not enough spark coming through the plugs.

Let us know what you found!
This is a regulator/rectifier issue. My bike did the same thing. It would do it sometimes and others it wouldn't, what I think happens (and this was the issue with my bike) is that after you are out riding for a bit the regulator starts over charging the battery and starts to kill it. If I pop started it and just sat there with the bike and rev'd it to 4.5k it would look normal on a volt meter, the only why they could tell on mine is they bolted the volt meter to the battery and went out and rode it. They said after a bit of riding it started throwing 17.5 volts on my battery and it would go up if you hit the brakes or something.

I replaced the regulator and it fixed this problem, now I'm having other issues but that was the cure to this specific issue.

If you can bolt a volt meter on the battery and secure it somewhere you can see it then go out for a ride and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode