Just purchased RC51 and having electrical trouble - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just purchased RC51 and having electrical trouble

Hello,

Just purchased a 2003 RC51 and I'm having some issues. When I purchased the bike the only issue with the bike was that the brake lights were always on. After looking into it, it looks like the previous owner unplugged the front brake switch from the front brake. Unfortunately, when I press the button for the switch, I hear a click and the power for the bike turns off (instrument cluster goes out/brake light turns off). The bike has quite a few aftermarket modifications and the wiring on it in the rear is a joke. I've already removed some led's that were on the swingarm and in the radiator vents. The bike has an aftermarket undertail kit and the wiring looks like a Christmas tree.

I'm hoping I haven't bit off more than I can chew. I'm planning to get a different undertail kit and wiring everything back to stock so that I can figure out what is what.

Let me know if you have any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 11:08 PM

Gd luck on the wiring dude...hope u ride her sooner

1/6 HRC Fast Trottle,Scorpion SS Slipon Race Can,15/42(530) Afam Sprocket,PC3 WZ Yoshi Mapp,Brembo RCS Master Pump,After Market Brake Line, Flapper Valve Mod,Pair Removal Mod,Rumble Under Tray,RockWall Clipon,Endurance Race Fairing,
Hyper Pro 3D Shock,Turnone Kevlar Airbox & Carbon Intake, Hyper Pro Height Raiser Kit,Hyper Pro Linear Fork Spring,Harris Rear Set, CF Stator & Clutch Cover..more to come..., Slipper Clutch,Radiator Scoop,Factory Pro Shift Kit,
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I had to replace all my wiring harnesses due to the butchery from the previous owner.
When I first lifted the rear cowl panel and peered inside, I almost fainted at the hack job he did on the rear fender to fit the undertail.
I think he used a chain saw to trim the rear fender, and did such a bad job he had to use zip ties to hold it up.
The wiring "mess" as a result was pure chaos with relays bouncing loosely inside, and it had wires that had exposed ends begging to short out somewhere.
I managed to patch it enough to work, but eventually ripped it all out and redid everything from scratch.
Now it's all nice and well organized.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:32 AM

The previous owner of my RC did a great job trimming for the undertail. However he used butt connectors for the electrical part. I've been redoing it as I go along! I prefer soldering.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, so do you think its just a short somewhere in the wiring that is causing the bike to turn off when I use the front brake?

I was planning on purchasing a new undertail kit and wiring it up to the factory wires (the current undertail kit has a separate box that uses a mess of wires). On my last RC51 I had the 'texas tuck', anyone know if anyone sells that undertail anymore? I could only find 2 different undertail kits when I searched.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:14 AM

You stated that the previous owner had unplugged the brake switch, and that when you press the switch you loose all the instrument lights after hearing a click, soo I'm assuming that you plugged the switch back?
If that's the case then i would first of all unplug the wires from the switch again, then check the fuses and see if any of them blew, after wards you would need to do a resistance check to ground on the switch, that way you can determine if its the switch or not, then move on from there.
This is my first v twin sport bike, but it seems that between the motors vibration and ignorance from previous owners, there's quite a bit of electrical gremlins with these bikes, Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks larry, Haven't hooked the switch back up to the front brake lever b/c I need to order the screw to screw it back in. So I've been pushing the button down to check it.

I'll check the fuses again tonight, but I don't think its a blown fuse. When I release the button for the switch all the lights come back on. But whenever I push the button down again all the lights go out. The previous owner just rode around with the switch unplugged b/c the bike runs fine as long as the button isn't getting pushed, lol. Well it runs fine except that there is always the worry of getting run over for not having working taillights.....

Last edited by sephiroth99is; 08-25-2009 at 01:35 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 02:10 PM

If I understand, with the front brake light switch connected (although not installed), if you activate the switch you lose all lighting and the engine cuts out, but if you release the switch, everything comes back on (excepting the engine which has died)? Except the brake lights stay on.
Well off hand it can't be fuse since it would stay blown.
And there are no circuit breakers, so it got to some relay mis-wired somewhere.
Let me check over the wiring diagram for a clue.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 02:26 PM

What color are the wires going to your brake light switch?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

2 Wires are going to the front brake switch: Green w/ yellow stripe and White w/ green stripe.

When i press the button on the switch, everything on the bike shuts off, including the tailights. Haven't tried it with the motor running, but I would guess the motor would turn off as the odometer display resets and goes into its start up mode as soon as I let go of the button.

I've only tested it with the key in the on position and the motor off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode