Project lightweight - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Project lightweight

I'm attempting to assemble an sp2 that can hold its own against the liter bikes of today.

To do this a mixture of weight reduction, increased power and suspension/brakes are the plan.

I would ideally like it to be 180kg wet/140+whp and be composed enough when cornering and on the brakes to do anything I ask of it.

I currently have an sp2 (minus forks, top triple and front brakes) and about half of an sp1. The sp2 is the interesting one. Mods so far are:

- emissions delete
- cf snorkel
- pc3 usb
- sato rear sets
- sato banzai slip ons in Ti (shortened)
- cf fairings
- ohlins shock (need to change spring for my weight)
- dk link
- carrozzeria v-track wheels
- Durbahn cf dummy tank and airbox
- Custom Al underseat fuel tank (replaces subframe as well)
- Wiseco 12.7:1 pistons
- HRC replica front mount rad setup

The plan is to use the forks (need to respring for my weight), brakes and miscellaneous hardware from the sp1 to complete the sp2 and sell everything else:

(low km engine, wiring harness, hindle slip ons for sp2, the cnc machined sp1 triples (if I cant make them work with an sp2 stem), my spare sp2 frame (no swing arm), cluster, fairings (if I can make a deal on a cf set I'm looking at), spare headlights)

These are all pictures that the previous owner took prior to me purchasing it. It is in basically the same state while I get the last of the parts I need for the initial assembly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

And a few shots of the recently purchased cf fairings. I'll be removing the radiator vents as they don't serve a purpose with front mount rads.

I'm open to any and all suggestions on how to reach these goals. Weight is anybody's guess (but certainly less than stock ), power was 130whp when last checked on a sub-optimal tune and aside from the ohlins shock, the suspension and brakes are stock.
post #3 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
http://www.ti64.co.uk/ this guy will make alloy spindles for wheels and swinging arm.
carbon fibre wheels, alloy nuts and bolts where you can get away with them Ti everywhere else.
Akrapovic full system, modified 2 into 1, cable clutch conversion.
Attention to detail, work through the bike slowly good luck have fun and wave goodbye to your bank balance, (my bike is 175 kg wet with 137 rwhp, taken me 12 years and )

post #4 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

All good suggestions. Did you document your build?
post #5 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansp1 View Post
http://www.ti64.co.uk/ this guy will make alloy spindles for wheels and swinging arm.
carbon fibre wheels, alloy nuts and bolts where you can get away with them Ti everywhere else.
Akrapovic full system, modified 2 into 1, cable clutch conversion.
Attention to detail, work through the bike slowly good luck have fun and wave goodbye to your bank balance, (my bike is 175 kg wet with 137 rwhp, taken me 12 years and )
That's a great contact, thanks for posting the website. I've been thinking of getting some Titanium spindles made, now I know where to get them. Cheers!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #6 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
All I can say is, to meet your performance expectations, be prepared to spend some serious money.

Exotic, lightweight materials are not cheap.
The largest bang for the buck is to lose weight in large chunks.
When it gets to small items, the cost goes rapidly upward.

Apart from the rider, the engine is the heaviest component (160-165 lbs), and the one that nothing can be done about to lose weight (short of designing your own engine).
post #7 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

It wil no doubt get more expensive from here on in. I'll be interested to see what it weighs when assembled. The Al tank/subframe, cf fairings , Ti slip ons, simplified wiring harness, emissions delete and wheels should net a reasonable decrease. Any bets ?
post #8 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
You need to buy ALL of Thorsten Durbahn's product to get to where you want to go, LOL !
Gonna be a lightweight piggy for sure when your all said and done.
Some real nice bits on that bike, will be watching this build for sure.

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #9 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
That's a great contact, thanks for posting the website. I've been thinking of getting some Titanium spindles made, now I know where to get them. Cheers!
Nice Stig...keep me posted sir!

post #10 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was very tempted by the complete carbon setup you purchased Cam...I was going to put a bid on the while setup. On well...something else always comes up, there is always the Thorsten stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode