New to RC51 have a few questions pls - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New to RC51 have a few questions pls

Hello everyone thanks for having me I just bought a 2003 RC51 11,900 miles and I have a few questions. gonna list what it has on it then go from there.

2003 Honda RC51 (red/silver paint)

Frame sliders

full micron dual exhaust.

Power Commander III and all CD's plus the Map to the bike.

under tail with intergrated break and turn singles

Flush mount turn singals

red powder coated wheels

HID bulbs (no not a HID kit)

1. What stearing damper would anyone recommend. I have used scotts in the past dont have any issues or complaints but for mostly street (city/highway) and some track (less then 10%) is that the best option for a 2003 RC51?

2. Exhaust, I heard that 2 brothers designed a pipe just for the RC51, although I am not sure. I have full micron now which I know makes a good product. my question is who makes a better set up then what I have for the RC51?

3. The bike has a power commander III now but its been suggested that the PC isnt the best fuel management system for the RC51. I was told that techlusion makes something better. So is a self learing system better for the RC51? Yes I will be riding in wide range of conditions. Never had an issue on my I4 bikes though.

4. Oh almost forgot what sprockets are most people running on the RC, I would like to get a 170 to 180MPH, I ride with guys on the following bikes.

2 1000RR
4 Busa's
1 TL1000R
4 R1
1 GSX-r 1000

Each one of there bikes are "tweaked" so I need to beable to keep up.

I am sure I will have some other questions I thank everyone in advance.

Last edited by analyticworm; 02-23-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I have a Scotts on mine and I think it's still one of the best units around.
Mainly due to it's easy and compact installation, but also due to the adjustability.
It has hi and lo velocity adjustment along with sweep.
It was good enough that Ohlins put their name on it.
GPR also makes a rotary damper, but I don't think it has the same adjustability.

Two Brothers has several slip-on systems for the RC51.
So far the king of slip-ons seem to be Sato low-mounts. They're damn pricey, but very very good. Wonderful mid-range torque for the street and killer sound.
The Micron full system is also very good. I believe Micron may be out of the cycle exhaust business, or so I've heard.
Tsukigi makes a full titanium system which is beautiful to behold.
I don't think Akrapovic makes a full system for the RC51 anymore. It's not listed on their web site.
Jardine also makes slip-ons and full systems as well.
It all depends on what you'll use your bike for.

I'm not sold on the Techlusion. I still think the Power Commander PCIIIUSB is the better unit. I has finer adjustability.
The RC51 never had a lambda sensor, so you can't use a Power Commander V which has auto-mapping function with the newer bikes. There's no way to directly measure the O2 content which is what they do when it's dyno tuned.

Last edited by SubSailor; 02-24-2010 at 12:13 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
I have a Scotts on mine and I think it's still one of the best units around.
Mainly due to it's easy and compact installation, but also due to the adjustability.
It has hi and lo velocity adjustment along with sweep.
It was good enough that Ohlins put their name on it.
GPR also makes a rotary damper, but I don't think it has the same adjustability.

With the guys I ride with I was told to either go with GPR or stay with Scotts so I am leaning more to Scotts. I am gonna be doing 90% city/highway with 10% track. So I am thinking I will order the Scotts some time this week or next week.

Two Brothers has several slip-on systems for the RC51.
So far the king of slip-ons seem to be Sato low-mounts. They're damn pricey, but very very good. Wonderful mid-range torque for the street and killer sound.
The Micron full system is also very good. I believe Micron may be out of the cycle exhaust business, or so I've heard.
Tsukigi makes a full titanium system which is beautiful to behold.
I don't think Akrapovic makes a full system for the RC51 anymore. It's not listed on their web site.
Jardine also makes slip-ons and full systems as well.
It all depends on what you'll use your bike for.

I will be using the bike 90% city/highway and 10% track was told the system thats on my bike currently is fine but I was also told that there was better out there for the RC51. I have heard a ton of good things about Sato just cant find a set at a decent price.

I'm not sold on the Techlusion. I still think the Power Commander PCIIIUSB is the better unit. I has finer adjustability.
The RC51 never had a lambda sensor, so you can't use a Power Commander V which has auto-mapping function with the newer bikes. There's no way to directly measure the O2 content which is what they do when it's dyno tuned.
I know there is huge debate with the self learning and non but a guy I know has a 2002 RC51 some things done to his engine the air box mod different sprockets lowered and has NOS on the bike. Told me when I started looking about how the PC was horrible on his bike cause the correct mapp could not be made and when he was riding in Tenn at a honda event other people on there RC51 had to go to the honda dealer and get remapped just to ride in that area so a self learning system takes all of that need away. $200.00 is a lot of money but not so much when compared to a good riding bike so I am half tempted to get the techlusion or something like it and compare it to the PC III.

I did a bit more research and learned that the 15/45 sprocket combo is fine but it drops the top speed I think down to 140's or 150's. I am looking for midrange and high end power any suggestions?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:18 PM

From what I understood, the -1 +2 does not affect top speed on the RC because of the way this twin makes it power, and something to do the the rev limiter...etc. I could have been misinformed.

I also thought I read that the top speed is only in the 160 range for these bike's, even though the speedo may show a bit more... once again, been doing a lot of reading, and could have misunderstood.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modidy View Post
From what I understood, the -1 +2 does not affect top speed on the RC because of the way this twin makes it power, and something to do the the rev limiter...etc. I could have been misinformed.

I also thought I read that the top speed is only in the 160 range for these bike's, even though the speedo may show a bit more... once again, been doing a lot of reading, and could have misunderstood.
I have heard the same thing after the purchase (guess I didnt do a much reseach as I should have) But I have also read that speeds of 170 to 175 isnt completely out of reach with some mods. I just dont want to get "left"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticworm View Post
Hello everyone thanks for having me I just bought a 2003 RC51 11,900 miles and I have a few questions. gonna list what it has on it then go from there.

2003 Honda RC51 (red/silver paint)

Frame sliders

full micron dual exhaust.

Power Commander III and all CD's plus the Map to the bike.

under tail with intergrated break and turn singles

Flush mount turn singals

red powder coated wheels

HID bulbs (no not a HID kit)

1. What stearing damper would anyone recommend. I have used scotts in the past dont have any issues or complaints but for mostly street (city/highway) and some track (less then 10%) is that the best option for a 2003 RC51?

Scotts/Ohlins is the best with GPR next.

2. Exhaust, I heard that 2 brothers designed a pipe just for the RC51, although I am not sure. I have full micron now which I know makes a good product. my question is who makes a better set up then what I have for the RC51?

If you ask anyone who has ridden RC51s for a long time, they would tell you two brothers would probably be at the bottom of there exhaust list. (not that they are bad) From what I have read, all the exhausts for the 51 are decent all within a few horse of each other.

3. The bike has a power commander III now but its been suggested that the PC isnt the best fuel management system for the RC51. I was told that techlusion makes something better. So is a self learing system better for the RC51? Yes I will be riding in wide range of conditions. Never had an issue on my I4 bikes though.

This is news to me, Ive never heard of anyone who had issues with a PCIII on a 51.

4. Oh almost forgot what sprockets are most people running on the RC, I would like to get a 170 to 180MPH, I ride with guys on the following bikes.

If you want to reach these speeds on a 51 either leave it stock gearing or go up to get more top speed. Going down will only take away your top speed. Bringing you down to the 160s or lower.

2 1000RR
4 Busa's
1 TL1000R
4 R1
1 GSX-r 1000

Each one of there bikes are "tweaked" so I need to beable to keep up.

Good luck! You picked the wrong bike for keeping up with these. Seriously though, the 51 will keep up with them just fine around town and out in the tight twisties. The moment you all hit the freeway and everyone really grabs a hand full of throttle they will leave you pretty quickly. The 51 was designed to keep up with the older 750s and ducatis 996/998. It was not designed to keep up with the likes of the newer 1000s and 1300s like you listed. Ive owned several of the bikes you listed, and I currently own an 03 RC51 because in the end it is more fun to ride than those. Even if it is not as fast.

I am sure I will have some other questions I thank everyone in advance.
By the way I live in West Bend, WI. I used to live in Menomonee Falls. Looks like we're pretty close to each other!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanJayAnd View Post
By the way I live in West Bend, WI. I used to live in Menomonee Falls. Looks like we're pretty close to each other!
Yeah I use to work in men falls, Dont any more and I do ride everyday shoot me a PM and I will give you my email or something and we can do 2 wheel tuesdays on 124th.

Friend of a friend who has a 2002 RC51 with some mods told me about how he rode to Tenn on a honda ride and everyone with a RC51 had to get there bike remapped other then that I havent heard anything bad about any PC but I have been told any fuel management system thats self learning is better then the PC with the maps.

I am hoping that I will beable to keep up I know that I wont be 1st but I dont think I will be last either cause the bikes I listed are the fastest in the pack. Worst case I am thinking if I just dont like the RC I can sell it and get my $$ back that I paid for the bike. I have looked at an online sprocket chart and I think I have a configuration that will get me the 217 MPH which should in the real world get me to the 170 to 175MPH range. I do need to get rid of the MPH govener though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode