Caliper hanger bolts - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Caliper hanger bolts

What is a source for the 10 x 35 mm (1.25 mm pitch) bolts that attach the caliper hangers to the lower fork legs?

I've bought two sets of SP-2 forks to try to make up one good set for installation on my VFR800. The bolts that came with each set I purchased were beat up and rusted beyond belief.

Both sets of forks I purchased had one 10 x 35 bolt in one hole and one 10 x 25 in the other. The 10 x 25 bolt has about 3 courses of threads sticking out once it passes through the hanger.

I know these aren't you're standard run of the mill bolts. My guess is that they are at a minimum Grade 10.9 or maybe even 12. It's been my experience with other Honda's that they tend to use grade 10.9 bolts on brake hardware. Might also explain the reason they are Torx type heads.

If you go to RonAyers.com and look on the parts fiche, this part number is called out as a 10 x 25 bolt, part #901010-MCF-000.

The two bolts really need to be a 10 x 35 and a 10 x 40 to get full thread engagement into the ears on the fork legs. The only place I've found bolts of this size and thread pitch is on ProBoltsUSA. Problem is they only carry 316 stainless steel bolts in this size and pitch. I know for a fact that 316 stainless is not as strong as a Grade 10.9 bolt.

I have searched the web high and low.

Any input, comments, or ideas are welcome.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I tried to order a set of these bolts back in '08.
These bolts are no longer available.
I replaced mine with 10x35 flanged hex Ti drilled from Pro-Bolt USA.
Their Ti bolts are slightly stronger than 8.8 steel.
I've had no problems at all.

Last edited by SubSailor; 05-04-2010 at 05:56 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Sub:

That is exactly what I have already done. I was just looking for something as a "Plan B". I would love to find some really high grade stainless steel 10 x 35 & 10 x 40 allen head cap screws.

Looks like right now I'm going to go the same route as you.

I take it you trust the stainless steel to be strong enough? I know Honda normally likes to use Grade 10 hardware on their braking systems.

FWIW, I actually found a place where Honda uses a Grade 12 bolt. They use a Grade 12 10 mm bolt to attach the shock the swingarm on the ST1300. Their corrosion protection is to simply paint the bolt a la KTM.

Pete

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
I tried to order a set of these bolts back in '08.
These bolts are no longer available.
I replaced mine with 10x35 flanged hex Ti drilled from Pro-Bolt USA.
Their Ti bolts are slightly stronger than 8.8 steel.
I've had no problems at all.
Titanium bolted into aluminum needs Anti Sieze or something similar on it to prevent galvanic welding of dissimilar metals doesn't it?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 02:51 PM

I probably have a few laying around....lol
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete McCrary View Post
Titanium bolted into aluminum needs Anti Sieze or something similar on it to prevent galvanic welding of dissimilar metals doesn't it?
Any dissimilar metal in the presence of a conducting medium will have a galvanic reaction.
Some have a mild reaction, while others are very active.

Titanium also has poor anti-galling properties, so it's good to use some agent to act as a form of lubricant or barrier, anti-sieze or lock-tite depending on the circumstances.

Be sure and use Blue grade lock-tite. Red is semi-permanent. Unless Red grade is called for in the manual.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Red lock-tite: Got Heat?
Some knucklehead went berzerk with the red loc-tite on my RC51 before I bought it. That's why I have to chase threads with a tap and die when I do projects like my rotor swap.
Definatly use blue, or medium strenght thread-locker. Sparingly at that, and you don't need to use it everytime. It does build up after a couple applications, you can feel it when your threading a bolt back in.

@ Pete McCrary, have you tried Ace Hardware? The ones we have here have an amazing selection of all types of automotive fasteners.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode