would you buy this RC? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
would you buy this RC?

Looking to buy an RC this weekend or next. It is an 02 with 874 miles...you read that right only 874 miles. Guy says the original owner was military and got deployed too much to ride, he bought it and had it serviced, got some new NGK plugs and thats about it. Bone stock, still smells new. My question is should I be concerned about a motor that has been sitting for 8 years with no real attention? Are the rings and gaskets ok? Should I just pretend I bought a new bike and break it in myself? I'd hate to buy it and then all of a sudden it have some catastrophic meltdown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 AM

I just bought a bike that had been sitting for two years, and it had gasket issues. Really not that big of a deal to replace, so if you can wrench, and the price is right I wouldn't be that concerned. I paid $4700 for my 03 but it had 17000 miles, so not sure what a good price would be. Whatever you are comfortable paying, knowing that their may be some issues. Just check it over real good. See if you can take the fairings off and then run it for awhile, to check for leaks.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taj8250 View Post
Looking to buy an RC this weekend or next. It is an 02 with 874 miles...you read that right only 874 miles. Guy says the original owner was military and got deployed too much to ride, he bought it and had it serviced, got some new NGK plugs and thats about it. Bone stock, still smells new. My question is should I be concerned about a motor that has been sitting for 8 years with no real attention? Are the rings and gaskets ok? Should I just pretend I bought a new bike and break it in myself? I'd hate to buy it and then all of a sudden it have some catastrophic meltdown.
contact subsailor on this issue. he has all the answers

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
If it was parked in a shed or barn, I'd be a bit concerned.
If it was prepared for storage and stored in a dry climate or nice garage, I'd be less concerned.
Unless a machine is properly prepped for long-term storage, it will deteriorate over time, even just sitting still.

After 8 years, I'd say most if not all rubber parts exposed to air will need to be replaced.
All fluids will need to be replaced as well.
The cylinders are ceramic coated, so rust isn't much of a problem there.
If the environment was humid, then I'd check all the electrical contacts for corrosion.

I all depends on how and where it was stored.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info. talked to a local shop and the service guy said check for rust in the tank, leaks around gaskets while running, chain, fork seals, and tires. the guy is asking $7200. is there stuff you would replace regardless?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 03:44 PM

I would buy that Mutha F*cker right now if I were you! I would not be concerned with issues until you get it and ride it a bit! Do it!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taj8250 View Post
thanks for the info. talked to a local shop and the service guy said check for rust in the tank, leaks around gaskets while running, chain, fork seals, and tires. the guy is asking $7200. is there stuff you would replace regardless?
Not sure if you bought or not but after my accident while rebuilding another bike I looked for an bought an RC51. (I love it by the way). Now 7200.00 buys you a lot of bike now if your saying 2002 with 900 miles and you have every service record and its been serviced regular then I am saying perhaps you have a good buy. But if your saying 7200.00 and your not sure what type of work your going to have to put into the bike then I am thinking the miles and the fact it hasent been ridden is more hurtful then helpful.

If you really want Aa RC 51 I would suggest find one with a few miles on it (normally in the teens) and be around 5,000.00 and put the rest into different mods.

but thats my 2 cents.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 11:48 PM

Buy mine for $4k and have a TON left for mods.

-Tony B
00 RC51
06 Evo IX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode