Rear Tires (I know...I know...) - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Red face Rear Tires (I know...I know...)

Howdy y'all!

Quick question (and I know this is a varied topic...so...)

I need new rubber for the RC. I am looking at the B-stone BT-016 Pro's as I can get them cheap and they get great reviews. I ride 100% street. Anywho my question was I am currently geared 15/43 (which I hate ) and am thinking of going either 16/42 or 15/41 (heard good things on both) and I'd like to run a 190/55 on the rear (seems the best combo I've read about so far)
So, I apologize for being a noob but, if I change my gearing is there going to be any fitment issues with a 190/55 @ 15/41 or 16/42 ???
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
16/42 will work with a 190/55 on a SP2. But you will have to put the chain on the sprocket before sliding the axle in with an OEM length chain. Kind of a pain in the ass

With 15/41, OEM length chain, no fitment issues. It's what I'm running now

James

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Fast View Post
Howdy y'all!

Quick question (and I know this is a varied topic...so...)

I need new rubber for the RC. I am looking at the B-stone BT-016 Pro's as I can get them cheap and they get great reviews. I ride 100% street. Anywho my question was I am currently geared 15/43 (which I hate ) and am thinking of going either 16/42 or 15/41 (heard good things on both) and I'd like to run a 190/55 on the rear (seems the best combo I've read about so far)
So, I apologize for being a noob but, if I change my gearing is there going to be any fitment issues with a 190/55 @ 15/41 or 16/42 ???
Thanks in advance
You should be fine, clearance will not be an issue. I run a 16/41 with a 195 tire.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I think the S20's are right in the same price range, check into those.

This page compares the S20 and the BTO16.
http://www.bridgestone.com/products/...ttlax/s20.html

I'm going to try the S20's next, every single review I've read from members is good. Everyone seems to love this tire.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Next Spring the S20s are going on.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

S20's are about 20 bucks more from my supplier, but if y'all think they are that much better, might be worth a shot. Truth is, I'm 100% street, no track days in the near future, and a LOT of highway time, mostly straight (God bless the on-ramps for that adrenaline boost, I love going from 0-80 in a few seconds ) so I would like something with good life-span but I do ravage some twisty stuff on the occasion so I'd like some grippage too lol, I want it all!!! Thanks guys, you are always reliable for solid input
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Carlos has a set of S20's on the way. Best tires out there for sports riding, I think. But everybody has their preferred brand, etc. Bridgestone do make a multi-compound touring tire, so maybe consider those? I have some on the VFR (BT020's) and they've been no problem at all. Check Bridgestone's website for choices.

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/...lax/bt020.html

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Fast View Post
S20's are about 20 bucks more from my supplier, but if y'all think they are that much better, might be worth a shot. Truth is, I'm 100% street, no track days in the near future, and a LOT of highway time, mostly straight (God bless the on-ramps for that adrenaline boost, I love going from 0-80 in a few seconds ) so I would like something with good life-span but I do ravage some twisty stuff on the occasion so I'd like some grippage too lol, I want it all!!! Thanks guys, you are always reliable for solid input
Sounds like you need a dual compound, im running the michelin road 2ct, awesome tire so far, and last forever on my previous bikes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2003 Rc51
Carbon Sato Banzais
Kyle racing clip-ons

2009 Ninja 250r (Wife's)
Yosh slip on
Roaring toyz lowering kit
Fender eliminator

1967 Mustang
289 ci C4 Auto
Tri-Y headers
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 11:06 PM

Hi wicked, just got my RC and the rear was to the canvas, put pilot 3's on and they are dual compound, however I have not the saddle time to make a subjective assessment yet but talking to two bikers (man and wife) last night, both who have recently done coast to coast and back on one set of p3's, the tyres were shot at the end but that seemed good mileage, they were riding a Ducati monster and a FJR, they also stated they hit torrential weather and the p3's were very impressive with. I also echo Stigs comments about BT 's as I too had VFR, and I followed lots of pleased VFR owners advice and mixed (from new) 020 rear and I think it was 019's for front.... Worked for me.

But for the RC two weeks ago, I paid about $370 for the p3's fitted......... chikenstrips were free!

---------------------------
Recent previous 2 wheel steeds:
1999 Triumph Daytona - miss the triple.
2003 VFR VTEC....hmmm
1999 VFR - Proper V4, no VTEC!

Current garage:

RC51 -SP2 -2003, learning more and more about it!...... FAST!

Mustang Mach 1 2003 - also as now in UK ..... two 'dieselly' things, 'cos its sensible, both are Volvo's - just to embarrass the kids!

Last edited by Johnski; 10-27-2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Bloody ipad
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

I figured there'd be a spread of opinions... thats cool though, would rather have too much info than not enough. My main concern was doing the gear change and then having a fitment issue with the 190/55
Thank you all for the great feedback, I have lots of homework to do before I pull the trigger (well....and still waiting to start fartin' hunnit-dollah billz y'all)
I have my dream bike, and now I want to get her dialed in.
New rubbers, PCV (with proper dyno), Gear change (before dyno), speedo healer, and then some cosmetic stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode