Running issue - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Running issue

I have an 03 Rc, Has 25,000 miles on it. Yoshi shorty slip ons and different gearing. Bike will start up fine un run great, then no matter what speed or gear bike will cut off. All lights will stay on and the FI light comes on (just like if you hit the kill switch) While still rolling the bike will sometimes kick itself over and others I have to come to a complete stop. Ill let it sit for a few seconds hit the starter and bike will fire back up. Any ideas of what to check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Well, I have an '03 and I had a similar problem (@ about 29k miles) with mine and it actually was the kill switch. I'd accidentally touch/tap it with my hand while riding and it would cut off then come back on. I bought a OEM one form bikebandit and that was def the problem............just a thought

2003 Honda RC51 - 46K+
----------------------------------
PCIIIr, SATO low mount C/F, hotbodies undertail, SATO F/S, CRG shorty BRK & CLTCH levers, Magical Racing C/F speedo cover and rear hugger, HRC clutch & F Brake sock covers, Galfer SS lines all around, pair valve mod
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

I'll have to look into that. I know my hand was nowhere near the kill switch when it happened. So far ive checked the pulsor coils, battery terminals, tip over sensor, and havent been able to come up with anything

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

It only cost me 37 bucks and all in all if it wouldn't have worked, i'd had a new one now but it did so.

2003 Honda RC51 - 46K+
----------------------------------
PCIIIr, SATO low mount C/F, hotbodies undertail, SATO F/S, CRG shorty BRK & CLTCH levers, Magical Racing C/F speedo cover and rear hugger, HRC clutch & F Brake sock covers, Galfer SS lines all around, pair valve mod
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:46 PM

kick stand?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 10:14 PM

Look at the kickstand spring and make sure it's keeping the kick stand tight in the up position. Even if it is, they do sometimes get road grime in them and go bad.

RC-51 Track
SV 650 Liter Eater
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

I had one of the techs at work test ever system and run diagnostics on everythink, couldn't find anything out of sorts. Now bike runs fine and the light hasn't come on nor has the bike shut off, weirdest thing
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
I once had a short inside the kill switch assy. The solder joint had pulled off the small circuit board....started as an intermittent issue then finally all of the solder melted away leaving a charred wire.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:31 PM

i had an '00 that I sold because of the intermittent ignition cutout.. It would ofter die for a second while accelerating from 3000-4000 rpm - the F1 light would come on but never blink on the next startup like it says in the service manual. Or, it would die for a second or stutter for a few cutouts while just cruising at highway speed. No way I did it with the on/off switch. Bad lean angle sensor? Cycle World Service page has mentioned some other Honda models have had oversensitive lean angle sensors.
So I now have an 04 Nicky Rc51. It was great for the first year and then it started doing the EXACT SAME THING!!!!!!!! only worse - once it died for 3-4 seconds at highway speed - not very reassuring. Seeing that other owners have the same problem is very worrisome. Is this particular to RC51's in general.
I have lost all confidence in this bike

Last edited by motodont; 10-22-2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Are you kidding...lost confidence???? This bike is a beautiful masterpiece. If you lost confidence then you have no soul... I have had ZERO the issues you describe with two RC51's owned... The first is 2003 with 21,000 miles and the recent purchase of another 2003 with 4,700 miles...

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode