Upgrades and mods - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to sp2_infidel Send a message via Skype™ to sp2_infidel
Upgrades and mods

Im sure these questions have already been asked but any and all feedback is helpfull.

New to the sp2 and i would like to know how to get it to run cooler. If the soft rev eliminator is worth it. If there are any other mods please let me know. thanks

LIVING LIFE A QUARTER MILE AT A TIME!!!!

My life is not a journey with the intent of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather I will skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out loudly proclaiming... WOW What a Ride!!!

2003 RC51 16k.
-Stock for now.
2001 gsxr 23k
-Started full custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 11:26 AM

you can get turn 1 radiator scoops and fins, you also can get a front mount radiator kit, there are a few manufactures for this. Not sure about the soft rev eliminator. Where are you located?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Site Sponsor

Exhaust wrap/ceramic coating also helps a little. Front mount radiators are the most drastic and best way to keep it cool.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Placing SPAL fans on the bike which pushes the air through vs pulling the air works great. I think the mod is over on speedzilla if not PM me and I will show you what I did. Not bad for a $64.00 mod.

2004 RC51 with multipul mods
1985 VF1000R SOLD 😭
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via Yahoo to sp2_infidel Send a message via Skype™ to sp2_infidel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrbear View Post
you can get turn 1 radiator scoops and fins, you also can get a front mount radiator kit, there are a few manufactures for this. Not sure about the soft rev eliminator. Where are you located?
Im stationed in Mississippi. Humid as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51parts.com View Post
Exhaust wrap/ceramic coating also helps a little. Front mount radiators are the most drastic and best way to keep it cool.
Am doing the exhaust wrap when i get back state side.

My life is not a journey with the intent of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather I will skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out loudly proclaiming... WOW What a Ride!!!

2003 RC51 16k.
-Stock for now.
2001 gsxr 23k
-Started full custom

Last edited by sp2_infidel; 01-07-2011 at 09:47 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Can only imagine Mississippi. Marines, Cherry Point NC, and the humidity sucks here too. What branch you in? Ive looked in to the soft rev mod and decided not to. My 03 lives on the street and didn't see the need for 500 more RPM at red line. Ive missed shifts and rev-d her all the way out before and the soft rev helps to prevent engine damage from that. What doing it will give you, full power to the rev limiter, with the extra RPM 9500+ it will put out more HP (makes dyno #s look better). I'm sure theirs more but that's all i can remember. If you ask me, its for a track bike not a street bike. Haven't had the chance to ride after doing the flapper and pair mod but that was pretty ez to do. The "how to" and what is does are on rc51.org under mods.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I'm originally from Mississippi, and I've lived in the midwest for a while.
I can say the summers were just as hot and just as humid as in the south.
The difference being MS didn't have the brutal winters like the midwest.
Actually back in '89, the summer was hotter in the Detroit area than in my home town in MS.
It was 103 deg F one summer in MI and had the humidity from the great lakes.
The only advantage was the summers were shorter than the south.
Here in Florida, from May to November, it's in the 90s and the humidity is just as bad.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_03_rc View Post
Can only imagine Mississippi. Marines, Cherry Point NC, and the humidity sucks here too. What branch you in? Ive looked in to the soft rev mod and decided not to. My 03 lives on the street and didn't see the need for 500 more RPM at red line. Ive missed shifts and rev-d her all the way out before and the soft rev helps to prevent engine damage from that. What doing it will give you, full power to the rev limiter, with the extra RPM 9500+ it will put out more HP (makes dyno #s look better). I'm sure theirs more but that's all i can remember. If you ask me, its for a track bike not a street bike. Haven't had the chance to ride after doing the flapper and pair mod but that was pretty ez to do. The "how to" and what is does are on rc51.org under mods.
Grew up not to far from Cherry Point. home town is E City. I believe we had a det there back in 02. Preciate the heads up on the soft rev, yeah i dont plan on puttin her on the track.

2003 RC51 16k.
-Stock for now.
2001 gsxr 23k
-Started full custom
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
I'm originally from Mississippi, and I've lived in the midwest for a while.
I can say the summers were just as hot and just as humid as in the south.
The difference being MS didn't have the brutal winters like the midwest.
Actually back in '89, the summer was hotter in the Detroit area than in my home town in MS.
It was 103 deg F one summer in MI and had the humidity from the great lakes.
The only advantage was the summers were shorter than the south.
Here in Florida, from May to November, it's in the 90s and the humidity is just as bad.
I transfered from Jax FL Dec 09. Had a few issues with my gixx heatin up sittin in traffic but as soon as i hit the interstate i was good. Second time ive been stationed in MS. I plan on ridin everyday so id like to keep her cool. You know how 49 is in the afternoons!! haha. Might have to take the long way on 90!!!

2003 RC51 16k.
-Stock for now.
2001 gsxr 23k
-Started full custom
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:40 PM

I have done flapper (gets rid of loss of power from 5000-6500rpm), soft limit and pair mods because they were easy. But the best overall improvement was a power commander, power delivery and all around engine behavior improved and changing drive from 16/40 to 15/41. This make the front end a little lighter but definitely make the bike feel more zippy if you will. Although if you under 190 I've heard just changing the rear sprocket to 42 is good enough. At 220 I needed that extra tooth!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode