Cold Winter - Another SP2 Project - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cold Winter - Another SP2 Project

Greetings from snowy Michigan,

Picked up a cheap 2003 SP2-13k miles as a project this winter. I'm hoping to go through the entire bike correcting some bad maintenance, fixing safety issues, and upgrade the brakes/suspension/controls. Bike runs and rides great, has a couple mods already competed, and came with a PC3 USB.

This was a theft recovery bike from Ohio that was also crashed at some point in it's life. There's some rust on random parts and the rubber hoses are beginning to rot. I'm guessing the bike spent some of it's life in the elements or possibly an impound lot. A few small things are missing and there are scrapes on the swing arm and fairings. The fairings have been repainted but you can see the poor repair/sanding job immediately, no clear coat, and the graphics are not applied evenly. I'm trying to decide if I want to put a Hotbodies Racing Fairing Kit on it and sell the OEM fairings/lights. It would be nice to simplify and make removable brackets for lights if I ever wanted to make it street legal.

Bike has a lightly rusted 2-1 exhaust and a Yosh can. No exhaust hanger bracket, no rear tire hugger/chain guard, mismatched tires and a healthy amount of dust/oil/chain wax everywhere. The brake lines need to be replaced and probably the coolant and fuel hoses as well for reliability.

More pictures and posts to come as parts come in and I start dismantling the front suspension. This should be a quick project and maybe I'll see some of you at Grattan or Gingerman Raceway this summer. Not interested in making this the fastest RC51, just trying to maximize fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Kudos for rescuing this poor RC
Boy, it looks ugly with that exhaust

Can't wait for lots of blinking parts pictures to start emerging in this thread.

Welcome to the forum
Have the best time with it and always, always take pictures.....we're addicted to them

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
doesnt look too bad, welcome

2003 SP2: Everything I could find.
1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L
Dec. 2011&2013, Sep. 2015, May 2019 BOTM

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Enjoy the rebuild.

FYI the RC51 did not come with a hugger.

Also, I prefer armour bodies over hotbodies. It won the RRW comparo. If the oem is fairly solid, I'd sell it all and go with armour bodies. Track skins are lighter and more durable in a get-off.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
Also, I prefer armour bodies over hotbodies. It won the RRW comparo. If the oem is fairly solid, I'd sell it all and go with armour bodies. Track skins are lighter and more durable in a get-off.
I have an opportunity to get a new full Hotbodies set for $300, if not I'll take a look into the Armour Bodies set. The OEM fairings are in fair shape, it's just that they were sprayed with white primer and that's it. They also were not sanded properly so you can see raised lines under the primer. The pictures make the bike look much nicer than in person. I'm probably going to sell them to help pay for parts.

Here's a couple more pictures of the bike. I'll keep posting as I go along.

Take a look at the last picture of the bottom of the steering stem. Anyone else have a lot of rust there?

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
I've heard some non-optimal things about hotbodies, someone else posted recently on them too. Cheap may sound good in the short term, but cause pain in the long term. Just something to consider. I had cheap bodywork for the track for a while. Ended up with the nice stuff after experience and a little bigger wallet. If you can stretch the wallet is all I'm sayin.

Steering stem rust on the inside is pretty common. Nothing to worry about.

I see lot's of parts you can sell to fund the build, such as headlights, bar ends, mirrors, etc, even intake grill. I'd also consider selling good shape stuff off the bike and replace with cosmetically challenged or aftermarket stuff to put more money in you pocket. That may extend to gauges, fairing stay, forks, rearsets, levers, etc. That way you don't feel bad about any minor track incidents. I guess it depends on if the bike is to ride at the track, or push at the track.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Updates

Took the bike apart to inspect everything. Seems like there will be less issues than I thought I would have. Bike as a whole is in good shape with the exception of a few parts. The top fork bridge has some very deep cuts on the top right ring, the frame has a few deep scrapes and the swing arm looks like someone decided to grind part of it down for some reason. I'll try and get some better pictures up.

Removed the front forks to have them rebuild by Witch Kraft Racing. I don't know if anyone knows them but they are local to me and have already rebuilt the suspension on a couple other track bikes for my group. He does great work and will be installing a Ohlins piston/valve kit and a proper spring for my weight.

I also started a parts list for the bike.

1. New tires
2. Stainless steel brake lines/clutch line
3. Adjustable Rear-sets
4. Race fairings
5. New coolant lines
6. Replace rotted hoses
7. New fluids and tune-up
8. Short levers
9. Tire huger/chain guard

The list is very basic for now. Once I have the bike reliable and running the way I want I'll start the custom bits/paint/fun. I still need to decide if this will be a track only toy or if I should consider removable lights and mirrors for a local ride or the occasional buddy who wants to ride when he comes into town.

More to come as parts come in, are removed, and decision are made.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
CptS, Welcome to the forum! That find is a definite diamond in the rough! I'm really looking forward to your rebuild blog! Is that paint job satin white or gloss white? I like it either way, IMHO, it's something unusual, and it appears the cool satin! I was looking at my Yoshi' set up and your muffler looks a bit lower, is it because the 2 in 1 header pipe? Are you going to stay with a single or get a double muffler set up? Most of the times I've seen the RC's they always look great with the double mufflers!

"Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue".
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC5184 View Post
Is that paint job satin white or gloss white?

I was looking at my Yoshi' set up and your muffler looks a bit lower, is it because the 2 in 1 header pipe? Are you going to stay with a single or get a double muffler set up?
The paint is a flat white without really any gloss. It looks more like white primer that was never coated with a color. I'm going to sell the fairings to help pay for track fairing so I guess it's one less step for the next guy.

As for the muffler, it's a 2-1 setup that I'm going to stick with but I do plan on installing a very small can. If/when I crash at the track it'll be cheaper to replace the one side. I'm still trying to find something that I like. I wish I could find an exhaust that is completely tucked under the bike.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Just a small update on the RC:

Tires (Q3s), short levers and rear sets came in the mail. Excited to get everything mounted and bolted up. I also removed the Yosh exhaust and started to make a list of parts I'm not going to need. I'll eventually put the list in the "For Sale" section. The fairings are actually in better shape than I thought but there is a crack in the front cowl right above the air intake and one of the headlight tabs is broken. Small stuff.

I'm going to be installing some track fairings on the RC. While looking around at different sets I came across a picture of the RC51 endurance set. I'm not sure if I'm going to try and buy a pre-made front cowl or design my own with smaller lights but I really like how it looks. This particular bike will never be perfect factory condition again so I'd rather make it unique. I like the idea of using a Honda CBR250 headlight like others have because it has high and low beam ... but having two asymmetrical lights could be really cool too. I also found some bar end turn signals that accommodate mirrors. Should be easy to make the bike street legal if needed.

Also, here's a picture of the strange scrape on the swing arm.

That's about it for now. Better get my coat back on and grab a shovel ... 4"-8" of snow tonight again ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode