Where to find a set of radiator scoops?!?! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Where to find a set of radiator scoops?!?!

Hey all, Im in the middle of a huge winter overhaul ( not sure if you can call it winter in california at this moment, its like 77 out today) and i got the spal fans, i got the radiator fins ( thx Chaos!) and while i have everything apart Id love to find some scoops. so i dont have to take it all back apart again in the summer. anyone know where i can find them? no preference in carbon or fiberglass. Bike has been apart for about 1.5 weeks now and its killing me. I just want to go ride it!! having to ride around my CBR, and it just isnt the same haha.

Hopefully i can locate some!! thanks for the help guys. No BS, you guys on this forum are the nicest people ive interacted with on an online forum. Thx!!

and ill post pics of the rebuild soon haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 10:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Is it an SP1 or 2? I've seen some for sale here in Japan (Moriwaki) but they're for SP1 only. Would be around $170 by the time they're at your door, so not sure it would be worth it though. Rare bits...

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r95457003

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

SP2 sorry haha. Ya they are really hard to find. Been searching for awhile now. Ive seen a few in the marketplace recently but by the time I see it they are sold hahaha. Its like trying to find CRX parts now n days. Just in 2 wheeled form haha

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Tay, honestly, if you have the spal fans and fins, just throw in a manual switch and you'll have all the cooling she needs. Do a thorough rad flush and run Engine Ice.
I mean, if you want the scoops, fine, but I don't think it'll be necessary.
I'm still stock, with my SP1 single OEM fan at 33,000 miles and I've never seen my temp over 129F degrees.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Tay, honestly, if you have the spal fans and fins, just throw in a manual switch and you'll have all the cooling she needs. Do a thorough rad flush and run Engine Ice.
I'm still stock, with my SP1 single OEM fan at 33,000 miles and I've never seen my temp over 129F degrees.
I'm sure you mean 229F right Jdog? My sp2 hasn't seen over 223F even sitting in traffic. Still OEM cooling set-up.

'08 HD Dyna FatBob
'03 RC51 #153 - fastest RC ever built - SOLD
'03/13 BOTM - thx every1!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I've thought of doing the manual fan switch, still may do it while the bike is apart this weekend. Ive got 2 bottles of engine ice, I'm hoping i dont need more than that for the bike bc that stuff is pricey haha. I just figured since i commute a lot on the bike the scoops would help a lot, and since its already apart for a T stat and coolant change i might as well put them on. I always am kind of nervous to make changes to the stock electrical system, that was one of the things that i never wanted to change around.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 01:04 PM

On the SP2, you do have to splice into one of the wires from the ECU, but you aren't changing anything. You're just closing the ground circuit to the fans so they will operate at a temperature lower than the ECU's parameters are set for doing exactly the same thing.
The beauty is that when the manual switch is off, you're ECU still operates the fans normally.

As I recall, I used one half-gallon bottle of Engine Ice, and about 1/4 of a second bottle.
According to the manual, your SP2 takes 3.1 quarts. I don't think that includes the small amount for your overflow bottle.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

That is a must do then. Im probably just going to put the bike back together this weekend, and if I find scoops in the future then ill pick them up, im also working on a mesh net for the SPAL fans to catch debris so it doesnt shoot into the rads. Ive got 1 gallon total of the engine ice so i should be ok then. Hopefully the Thermostat isnt too much of a pain in the behind to do. Need to ride it again!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 05:52 PM

Just remember, anything you put between the pusher fans and the rads will cut into the CFM's that those fans are pushing, reducing airflow a little bit...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode