Fuel Pump Issue, maybe? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fuel Pump Issue, maybe?

Here's the deal, I was riding my 2003 RC home from school today, I went to take off from a stop light, gave her some gas only to notice that she virtually flat-lined at 6-6.5k rpms. I figured it was just the power commander map, given that I swapped the fuel tank the other night so it can get painted. So, I reloaded the map on her and went to start her up when I noticed that the normal whine you get from the fuel pump priming the fuel system was a screech. Also, I noted that she didn't throw an FI code at me, plus she started up fine. However, when she was running, the fuel pump still kinda screeched a little. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quite possibly the fuel pump motor is starting to fail.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
This is all obvious stuff, but...
I'm assuming you only switched tanks, not the pump/filter? Did you get a good look at your pump/filter when you switched tanks. How about the inside of the original tank and your donor tank. Also, a bad ground might act like that. Do you have any way to check your fuel pressure? I'd start with that.

Does anyone know if the pump is rebuildable? I saved my old one just in case. I seem to remember about $250 for a new pump. (Dealer price) Much cheaper on ebay for a RC51 used pump/filter. $150 -200. Hope you figure it out and it doesn't cost much.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 12:22 PM

did you twist the lines on install? take it all back down to wher you had it and start over. could have disconnected a wire also

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

I'll give it a shot. The temp tank is kinda banged up from when I got hit 7ish months ago. But, I'll be sure to inspect the fuel pump when I remove it. Also, I'll check all connections and what not. Unfortunately, i won't be able to do that until tomorrow, but as soon as I know, I'll let ya'll know. The thing that got me was the completely lack of an FI code, though.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Also, if there's anything else that it could possibly be, if ya'll could tell me now so I can look at everything tomorrow when I have time to work on her, that'd be awesome. As it is now, I'm gonna be re-removing the tank and re-inspecting the tank, inspecting the pump, and checking all connections.

Thanks

Last edited by laskdjn; 03-01-2011 at 08:17 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Also, i was wondering if there was anything wrong with connecting the fuel pump back up to the bike, after I removed it from the tank, so I could listen to it spin up once I turn the bike on.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Alright, so I drained the fuel, and out of curiosity, turned her on to let her prime...the screech was gone. I took off the tank anyway. I wiped out the inside of the tank with a clean rag, I cleaned the entire pump. The piping on the pump shows no dents or kinks, neither the pump motor, nor the fuel filter show signs of damage. The electrical connections are good. So, I put the pump back in, remount the tank, put fresh fuel in the tank. At first the sound was gone. The sound, though, eventually came back, but not nearly as loud as it was. Any thoughts?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Since it is DC motor, the brushes either have contamination in them or are wearing out...I believe that is your noise.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Contamination or wearing out after only 14k miles?

Anyhow, after I reassembled her, I took her for a quick spin out on the road. The problem with her power flat-lining was still there. I couldn't accelerate past 6.5-7k rpms in first, second or third gear.

Last edited by laskdjn; 03-02-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode