Clutch slave cylinder help - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clutch slave cylinder help

I have a 2002 rc. I removed the clutch slave cylinder to replace my front sprocket. I am having an issue putting the slave cylinder back on. I tied the clutch lever back like the service manual said. Any suggestions? Seems like the piston pushed out. I can bolt it on but it won't seal against the sprocket cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
The fluid behind the piston may be making it hard to push the piston into the bore.

If you crack open the bleed valve on the slave cylinder, if may relieve any pressure and allow you insert the piston. Do NOT allow brake fluid to contact paint as it will damage it.
Connect a hose or cover it with a cloth to keep fluid from squirting out.

If you're able to insert the piston, push it all the way in until seated, then tighten the bleed valve and gently pump the lever enough to add fluid into the cylinder (watch your master cylinder level).
Of course don't pump enough to push the piston out, but just enough to fill the cylinder slightly.
Then open the bleed valve and push the piston in until it seats then close the bleed valve. This may push out as much air as possible.

Reattach the combined slave cylinder/side cover, and then bleed the system until no air is remaining.

A Mity-Vac kit would come in handy about this time. But the traditional way should work as well.

This is similar if you had your calipers completely disassembled. Just more pistons to deal with.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice. It is funny you mention the mityvac I actually just bought one. I wanted to learn how to change my brake and clutch fluid myself. My bike is actually due to have the clutch fluid changed. Would I just follow the same procedures even though the slave cylinder is not attached to the sprocket cover? I am assuming once I drain the fluid the pressure from the fluid would be gone and then I could push the piston back in and attach the slave cylinder before putting in the new fluid. Does that sound accurate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode