Any ideas??? Backfiring fix.... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any ideas??? Backfiring fix....

03 with jardine slip ons... Pc3 USB. I just wrapped the pipes from the below the cans. Now it went from sometimes to allot of backfiring when I let off the throttle. It is not very loud but I still don't like it. Before me it was laid on it side, nothing major and just inspected everything when I changed oil today.(mobil1 4T) starts and runs flawless and has 9300 miles. I believe it might be a fuel mix mess up or an exhaust leak.. I am thinking about remappo g but not sure where to get the maps from or how to do it exactly.. Or scared just need the know how. Don't think it would hurt to do after I put some fresh nkg plugs in this week.. From my understanding I can tell if she has been running Lean from the spark plugs and remapping would be a good idea if that is the case right? Plugs should be tan? If I am wrong please let me know or if u have any ideas, I am open minded, btw I am still in south Korea so replacing the exhaust is not an Option now... Thanks.....

--------------------
Groundpounder
03 RC51
Under Construction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Check the plugs.

http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/sp...s_catalog.html

Check that out, will help you identify if you are running rich or lean.

A "Backfire" is essentially an explosion in the exhaust rather then in the combustion chamber, caused by unburned fuel. The wrap is probably why it seems to be occuring more as the wrap contains heat in the exhaust making it hotter.....It's not the cause of the backfire but making it seem worse.

Sounds like a bad PCIII connection/map or plug. First check and make sure the connections on the PCIII are good. Heres a link to powercommanders maps....

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...11&PartNum=114

play around with them and see which one works best. take your computer out to your bike and plug in the usb.....save your map thats currently on the PCIII onto your computer, and plug in different maps.

So check the plugs first, then try a different map if it doesnt help

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 05:05 PM

A couple of things to try. Make sure all of the exhaust pipe clamps are *tight* with no leaks at all. You said the bike has been down, it may have stressed an exhaust connection enough to allow it to leak. If necessary, disassemble and coat the pipe joints with high temp exhaust system sealer and reassemble. Next make sure the throttle position sensor (TPS) is correctly calibrated. Download instructions from the PowerCommander site for that. Good luck!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

thanx

Thanx for the advice..should have plugs in any day now and will change out and if not better i will save my current map setup and try others...

--------------------
Groundpounder
03 RC51
Under Construction
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

PCIII updates?

Should i download any updates for my PCIII and if yes which ones?I have never plugged it in...One other thing is i can not find the maps for jardine rt slip ons...Just some thoughts after looking on the site and seen allot of new firmware and so forth....

--------------------
Groundpounder
03 RC51
Under Construction
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 02:48 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
You might want to post another thread asking if anyone has a good map for that exhaust. I know plenty of people are using the Jardine system, someone is bound to have a good map. If not, play with it and find something close till you can get it to a dyno center and have a custom map done.
I've never had to update my PCIII's, just swapped maps. Someone else may know.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 01:25 PM

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforu...different.html

This may help clear up what you are experiencing. To some, backfire means through the intake and afterfire means through the exhaust.

The PCIII has a hard memory and will not lose maps unless altered. This is a protective design to allow maps to remain stored while changing the battery.

SP2 RC51
CBR 929RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode