HELP Getting a build up of grime on my rear wheel - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HELP Getting a build up of grime on my rear wheel

After i do about a 100 miles i have a grimy buildup on my rear wheel only on the chain side, not the brake side, and the only thing i can think of is my rear wheel is a little off. I measured the hash marks and also the tensioning bolt itself and they seem right on but i have a feeling its off a hair. My chain rollers dont show any uneven wear/coloring either.

I recently cleaned my chain pretty good and applied chain wax/lube like usual.

anyone else ever had this problem? this is also why i went ahead and posted a thread elsewhere about a decent laser alignment tool. thanks

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
As long as you have an exposed chain that you have to periodically lubricate, you're going to get some fling onto the wheel.

About the only time I see less of it is after I clean my chain, lube it, and wipe off the excess. Then let it set overnight to allow the solvent to evaporate.
It stays relatively clean for a short while, but then with each re-application of chain lube, it starts to grime up the wheel.

Years ago, many European bikes used to have fully enclosed chains.
To lubricate, you just popped open a cap over the rear sprocket housing and dribbled some oil into the chain housing.
Since the chain was fully enclosed, it was never exposed to dirt, water, etc.
While not quite as "racy" as exposed chains, they did last a good long time this way.

For an example, look at the first photo at this link.
http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_XV920R

You'll notice the black chain housing around the rear sprocket.
It had rubber bellows that joined the forward section that allowed chain adjustment.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The older and looser your chain gets the more it wiggles left and right as you ride and at the closest it gets to the tire edge it touches the tire, especially when your leaned on the right.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 07:16 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Honda cleaner takes that build up rigt off...it won't mess with the finish of the wheel either.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

I wash my bike probably more than anyone can imagine and its garaged so it rarely is dirty plus it never sees rain so thats why the only time i see it is after a long ride. royal purple and a wash mit takes it off easily, as for the plastics i use honda wash or cycle wash though.

chain and sprockets are fairly new and tension is set or checked probably once a month as i do track days through the marine corps and thats part of tech

Ryan
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
After cleaning your back wheel, coat it with a very light layer of vaseline. The gunk will wipe off much more easily with just a clean cloth in future. If you always re-coat with the Vaseline, it'll make cleaning much easier in future.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 PM

clean chain and wheel with kerosene. use toothbrush and follow with rag. it will not bother your finishes. it is recommended by manus. i follow up by washing whole bike with car wash soap.

use a good lube. i like liquid performance because it is thin, evaporates and only leaves a thin oily coating. there isn't as much for dirt to stick to.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 05:25 PM

i'm in the car business and we use acrysol or 3M adhesive remover in the aerosol can and it takes everything off, just used that on my wheels last weekend.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
After cleaning your back wheel, coat it with a very light layer of vaseline. The gunk will wipe off much more easily with just a clean cloth in future. If you always re-coat with the Vaseline, it'll make cleaning much easier in future.
Um..vaseline heats up and gets on the sidewalls...no thanks. Maybe need a "user beware" with this one...

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Um..vaseline heats up and gets on the sidewalls...no thanks. Maybe need a "user beware" with this one...
I said "very light layer" - as in a very light smear so it's hardly visible, not dollop it on.

I've been doing this for 2 decades, as have other friends I know & it works an absolute treat & no, it doesn't ever melt & get on the sidewalls.

But sure, if you want to spray solvents, etc. to remove the grime then that works too - it just costs more!

Last edited by The Stig; 05-11-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode