I need a mechanic BAD! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need a mechanic BAD!

Just bought a 2005 rc51 and need help getting her up to my expectations. Does anyone know a good mechanic in the south Florida or Tampa area? Would prefer not to get ripped off at a dealer. Any help would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Are you interested in doing some of the stuff yourself? You'll pay 5 times more to have a mechanic do anything for you.
I don't trust too many mechanics, certified or not, to touch my bike.
These RC51's are pretty user friendly as far as working on them, and you have a lot of knowledge and experience in the membership of this forum anytime you need questions answered.

What's your bike doing - or not doing?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Are you interested in doing some of the stuff yourself? You'll pay 5 times more to have a mechanic do anything for you.
These RC51's are pretty user friendly as far as working on them, and you have a lot of knowledge and experience in the membership of this forum anytime you need questions answered.

JD, you said it all
I agree.

What's up with the olde girl?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
You can download the service manual easily these days...or one of us (I among others) will email it to you.

I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but I've managed to do most of the work myself.

This forum is great help with great members.

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
OP, this is a Honda(!) ... the service manual is very good, thorough, very easy to understand the directions. Part numbers match up. Good illustrations. I suggest seeing if there are some things you can do yourself, and then if you still have some things you're not comfortable with, then you can consider hiring those remaining ones out ... and hopefully it will be far fewer things than you started with.

You can either download the manual for free or get a hard copy off eBay for about $50-60. Well worth it, IMO.

Good luck!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I am in Tampa too, what are you planning to do? If you need something that is beyond your abilities, I will point you in the right direction.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post

The problem with bike shops and mechanics is, they are a business.
And time is money, so they don't have the luxury to spend a lot of time on minor issues.

Working on one's own bike is a hobby, and time is really not that important, nor labor costs.
Therefore, time can be spent making sure everything is as it should be, not what the clock (or labor cost chart) allows.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure I could do it... never tried. Did all of my own work on my car, just a little more nervous on two wheels. The following is what I'd like to do...

Change Chain
Oil Change
Change front Tire
Throttle squeaks a bit
Check PCIII

Also wouldnt mind whatever else is involved in an "tune up"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I have a cousin in Tampa FL. who has owned a couple RC51s, and now rides a 2009 Repsol CBR1000r...
He is a Ferrari, Porsche. BMW ,etc. mechanic, so He has skills.....

Send me a PM if you want his help....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJONAJ View Post
I'm sure I could do it... never tried. Did all of my own work on my car, just a little more nervous on two wheels. The following is what I'd like to do...

Change Chain
Oil Change
Change front Tire
Throttle squeaks a bit
Check PCIII

Also wouldnt mind whatever else is involved in an "tune up"
Ok so far all those I would say do yourself, PC III there are some good guys in there that can help you with that.

Oil change as you know needs a filter change that too is pretty basic if you've worked on cars then this shoul be no sweat.

Change Chain
Check the length to make sure the next one is the same and while you're at is check the sprockets and replace those if need be, then install and check everything is good. A search in here will likely bring up all the 'how to's' yourd ever need.

Front tire, I personally remove my front wheel and by a new tire online and pay someone one to replace and balance. Or I get the garage I'm using to balance and fit to price match the tire I'm buying, the balance is important every time. Then I reinstall, which you'll want to read the how to to do this properly it's there trust me I've used it.

Squeaky throttle, I use oil in my cables to lube them. I basically just unscrew the throttle cover on the handle bar and gently let the oil go into the cables and twist the throttle to help it go down. I keep doing it till it's a much smoother action. Then reinstall, I'm sure if it's wrong someone will tell me on here. I'm assuming the cable is the squeak? If not the. Locate and either grease it it stop it from rubbing.

Good luck with it you'll be fine just go slow with here!

Has just realized that I don't care what it costs until I get the bill! :roll eyes: ...

Rossco's RC Teardown & Rebuild....

PARTS FOR SALE!

Last edited by Rossco; 05-03-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode