New member with some questions on a potential purchase - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New member with some questions on a potential purchase

Hello,

I am new to the site, but not to bikes. I Currently ride a 2010 F4, just sold my Ducati 1198 prior to getting the MV.

I loved my 1198, but it was always a love/hate thing. Seemed to leak oil from every orifice every ride and after fixing....fixing...fixing...finally got tired of the hassle. Anyway, got the mv (which I love), but still kind of miss the torque of a twin. Granted the 1198 is a newer more advanced bike than the Rc series, but I came across an ad today for a 2002 RC51 sp2 with 15,900 miles for $4,700. Owner says in overall good condition and not raced. New rear tire and chain. New fork seals and front brake pads. Owner says services all on shedule. Still has stock exhaust and he said he changed both the front and rear sprockets for more torque down low.

Anyway, I don't know much at all about the RC models other than that they are a twin and they have a pretty loyal following. Not sure if this is a good deal or he is asking too much. Is this bike reliable or prone to issues? Handling? Fun factor? Will I be utterly dissapointed riding this after being on an 1198S for a couple of years?

I don't need the highest horsepower bike, but I do want something that looks good, handles good, is relatively issue free, and has a high fun factor.

Thanks for any help and for answering my newb questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey kawi...Check your .net thread also!

Griff
twoeleven
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Depending on when he changed the gears, it's probably got less miles than indicated. I got an '02 at the end of last year for a similar deal. I don't know anything about the 1198 or the MV, but the RC51 doesn't feel like one of the "new generation" bikes, imo... then again, I can only compare to an '08 CBR1kRR. It doesn't quite feel like an old bike, either (circa bikes of that 98-01 era). To me it's somewhere in the middle of the two. There's a pic floating around somewhere here of an RC51 that hit 100k miles. This bike has a character of its own which really adds to the "fun factor" every time I'm on the saddle and despite its heft, it feels fairly planted when tilted over.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
To my knowledge, the RC51 doesn't have any real reliability issues but as with anything mechanical, maintenance is the key. If you want something that is fun, looks great, sounds great and handles well, you can't go wrong with an RC51. It is no 1198 though, you have to remember that. It is certainly heavier.

If you want to seperate yourself from the crowd, a la Ducati, go for the RC51. You will not be disappointed. It's for the discerning rider, not a squid that just wants to go fast in a straight line.

2000 RC51 SP1
2007 Yamaha YZ450f
2002 Yamaha YZ125 (sold)
2007 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2004 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold)
1996 Honda RVF NC35 (sold)
1983 Kawasaki KX60 (wrecked)
1982 BSA Scrambler (wrecked)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
RC's are bullet proof as long as the oil is changed and routine maintenance is done. This one is close to having the valve clearances checked.

Take a look in the tail section, there may be some butchered wiring if there is an aftermarket fender eliminator.

$4,700 is a bit much ~$4,000 is about right,

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode