This is gonna sound crazy... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is gonna sound crazy...

just stay with me here. I got my RC into my sunroom yesterday to get it torn down for some maintenance and what not. I was staring out my dining room window looking at it directly from behind. I started noticing that our swing arm isn't symmetrical. I also noticed that the left exhaust sits closer to the swing arm. Really close. Like so close I noticed the electrical tape covering the hole in the swing arm. So I pull the tape off and its a good size hole. So large I will be replacing the swing arm before I ride it at the end of the summer. Then I notice the peg protector on the bottom of the left peg and how its all cranked over. Thats an easy fix. Then I notice that the left radiator sits kind of cockeyed when compared to the right one. Now, being an RC noob, I just have to ask, ya think this thing has been in contact with the ground? Plastics show no damage, the bar ends and clutch lever dont either. But those are easy fixes. The previous owner vaguely mentioned the swing arm and after a 7 hour drive to pick it up I had forgotten. I have also noticed that the 2 Bros exhaust pipes are in constant contact with the bottom of the rear sets. That can't be normal, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 PM

yeah its prolly been tweaked over and he never spent the time to fix the header/mid pipes to ensure it has no interferences.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
probably has been down.....doesn't sound right.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 PM

Doesn't sound right at all. I'd be contacting the seller and asking for explanations and some sort of reimbursement.

2011 Ingot Silver Blown 5.0
2001 RC51
1998 Yamaha SRX 700
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubiSTIGuy View Post
Doesn't sound right at all. I'd be contacting the seller and asking for explanations and some sort of reimbursement.
I dont see this happening at all...

Ill post some pics in the next couple of days. Maybe some of its normal. Perhaps one of my legs is longer than the other which is throwing things off for me...
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 12:41 PM

I would contact him and ask him to be honest, you own the bike now. You cant return it. He has nothing to lose, and you gain the knowledge about your bike.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Site Sponsor

FWIW...The right side exhaust on stock RC51s does look off center from the factory, but if it's been replaced and there are holes covered with electrical tape, that sounds odd. Would be curious to see pics. For some reason, the factory exhaust is cockeyed a tiny bit.

Last edited by RC51parts.com; 05-25-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: pic
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I agree. Ive always noticed that on my sp1. The right side fits a bit closer. However, it doesnt come close to any clearence issues with swingarm.
Can you post a picture of the hole your talking about? How much clearance do you have? Considering the motion of the swingarm, i would guestimate you need about an inch. I just looked at mine.
If its real close, i would take of both side fairings, and check all the header connections. There's 5 or 6 in all, depending on sp1 or sp2. Use a little penetrating oil where you can, cause the bolts can be very stubborn and you dont wanna twist em off. Once the connections are a little loose, you can see if the system wiggles back into proper place, or close to it. Should probably look up the torque settings when tightening up, cause i remember them being lighter than i expected.
While you got fairings off, look Real close for other damage, especially around the rad area you mentioned. Any leaks?
Good luck, try to get a pic up.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Just reread your post. You said your left side was closer. Shouldn't be any closer. In theory. Get your fairings off and i think you'll be able to tell if anything is wrong. Look right at the rad mounts and spacers.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I agree. Ive always noticed that on my sp1. The right side fits a bit closer. However, it doesnt come close to any clearence issues with swingarm.
Can you post a picture of the hole your talking about? How much clearance do you have? Considering the motion of the swingarm, i would guestimate you need about an inch. I just looked at mine.
If its real close, i would take of both side fairings, and check all the header connections. There's 5 or 6 in all, depending on sp1 or sp2. Use a little penetrating oil where you can, cause the bolts can be very stubborn and you dont wanna twist em off. Once the connections are a little loose, you can see if the system wiggles back into proper place, or close to it. Should probably look up the torque settings when tightening up, cause i remember them being lighter than i expected.
While you got fairings off, look Real close for other damage, especially around the rad area you mentioned. Any leaks?
Good luck, try to get a pic up.
The exhaust can caused the damage on the swing arm. The cap on the can has a crack in it. Ill post the pictures ive taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Just reread your post. You said your left side was closer. Shouldn't be any closer. In theory. Get your fairings off and i think you'll be able to tell if anything is wrong. Look right at the rad mounts and spacers.
The L/radiator sits crooked. I doubt the pic will do it justice. The front side of it is cocked in.

Last edited by Handsome_Rob; 05-26-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode