possible speedo/wiring issue - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation possible speedo/wiring issue

hey guys, need your help!
My speedometer stopped working along with every other indicator on my dash except the headlight (blue) light and turn signal (yellow) indicator. I've got no tach, no oil light, no speedo, no neutral, no gas gauge, etc. I thought maybe I just had a loose connection but I have checked and re-checked every connection to make sure it's solid. I've also swapped fuses and that did not fix my issue either. I've also noticed that the front right turn signal does not flash but the left turn signal does. So yea, I'm completely stumped!
I'm not sure if this is related since I have aftermarket rear brake light/running light but the running light has stopped working as well. I've get the brake light to come on whenever I hit the lever or pedal but no running light.
I don't have access to a multimeter so I wanted to check here and see if anyone has ever experienced this same issue and could provide some insight. Is this a possible relay issue or do I have a bigger electrical gremlin on my hands?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
If the fuse was blown, you'd have no gauge operation or illumination, nor running lights.
On the surface, it sound like a wiring gremlin.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
damn! Think you're right since I forgot to mention that my headlights are working...high and low beam.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Have you had the bike apart recently?? (Wire pinched) The tank area under the seat is a popular spot for a pinched wire.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like that anything that goes from the ECU to the display is down, so the link between the two is down. The ones working must be direct electric functions.
I haven't checked but in the digital logic you only need 2 wires to transfer data, but it may appear as a multi connection plug. Check the connections.
The running light problem may be as simple as a bulb and unrelated I think. Although you have two of them which unless you had not noticed before I doubt they both went out at the same time. Are they LEDs or stock?
When you switch on and the bike primes you have nothing what so ever on the LCD display, right? How about illumination of the dash, if it is bright you may not have noticed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode