Could I be burning oil? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could I be burning oil?

Well, I don't really count the miles and instead just check the color of my oil to determine when I need an oil change (shitty system, I know) so I'm not sure how many miles it's been since the oil change. Today I noticed a small spot of oil on the ground under my bike. When I got home and check the level, it was right up to the window and barely hitting the lower marker. There was a time when I was running a SP1 harness when I didn't have fans and my temp reading got up to the 250 range, but that was only once and only for a couple seconds. I have a feeling my oil filter isn't torqued on tight enough, but anyone ever run into such a situation?

I ran my finger along the drain plug and also around the crank case and there was no oil residue at all so I'm not sure where it could be leaking from. I've basically lost about 1/4 quart of oil over a thousand (wild guess) miles and it's got me worried. I'm planning on doing an oil change tomorrow and inspecting the engine case, but any suggestions would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Do your mufflers have shiny gray or black residue on the inside?
Ordinarily they have a dry haze gray or slightly black coating depending on air/fuel ratio.
How about any residue on the inside of the lower cowls?

Was the oil level checked a couple of minutes after the engine was stopped or immediately after switching off?
Normally you crank the engine and let it run for a few minutes then stop it, wait for a couple of minutes for the oil to drain down from the top end, then check the level.

Also check the crankcase breather catch tank drain hose on the next oil change.
It has a hose with a plug and clamp on it. Remove the clamp and drain its contents into the pan holding the old oil.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

My mufflers look like I've been running kind of rich. I ran my hand along the inside of the lower cowls and didn't notice anything.

I checked the oil about 1-2 minutes after a ride across town. Yeah, I forgot to drain that bottle last time, but it didn't have much in it. I'll go out and check it again, now.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Yeah. The oil is still low. There's no dripping or anything and it's a clean garage floor so it's not a consistent drip if it's dripping at all. I'm gonna do the oil change tomorrow and just try to keep tabs on it as best as I can.

Nevermind, I think when I did my last oil change I didn't get enough. Just noticed in the service manual I'm supposed to use 4.1 quarts and I used just around 4 when I did the change. Bah, dumbass mistake.

Last edited by raylee; 07-25-2011 at 01:04 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

I think it may be my rear shock. I noticed a drip under my bike again today when I parked it at work. Would the shock oil smell like engine oil?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Judging from the Ohlins oil I drained out of my forks, it can smell worse.
Some pretty funky smelling additives they put in that oil.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't see a response to the oil catch system, did you check it? If you haven't ever it may be full, leaking, .. The higher the rpm you run the engine the more the oil will collect in there.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGara View Post
I didn't see a response to the oil catch system, did you check it? If you haven't ever it may be full, leaking, .. The higher the rpm you run the engine the more the oil will collect in there.
Oh yeah, I emptied it, but it didn't look like oil to me. It looked more watery and had a slight... umm.. purple/bluish hue to it? In any case, I'm gonna see if I still get that drip. My rear suspension seems to have settled a bit since I adjust the preload, but nothing drastic... I've felt a bike with a busted rear shock before and my baby's nowhere near that level yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode