Bell Star Rally in Red - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bell Star Rally in Red

Ok, I have had my eye on a Bell Star Rally in red from the day I saw one and I am due for a really nice helmet but I am really trying to grasp the fact that its price is close or more than a Arai or a Shoei, anyone have one or want one that could give me some input? Man its a great looking helmet

oh btw its $549

2003 RC51
2006 FJR1300
2002 CBR600 f4i
2002 R1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Damn, I just realized I posted this in the wrong category, it should be under General Bike Talk?

Sorry can someone move it for me?

2003 RC51
2006 FJR1300
2002 CBR600 f4i
2002 R1
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure about Bell's after so many years of being only a motorcross and cage helmet. I really only ride with Shoei and recently went to the Arai Corsair V and love it. It is a little loud but I always wear earplugs regardless. The feel and cooling of the Corsair V is unbeatable IMO.

Where r u at in the Showme State?

2004 RC51 with multipul mods
1985 VF1000R SOLD 😭

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 10:11 PM

I scored a deal on a Star. It's the RSD c-note. Great helmet, vents awsome, and the shield change is quick and simple. Only had it about 6 mos. but no complaints thus far.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor View Post
I scored a deal on a Star. It's the RSD c-note. Great helmet, vents awsome, and the shield change is quick and simple. Only had it about 6 mos. but no complaints thus far.
Is it quiet? I am kind of liking the self tinting shield. However, the Scorpion helmets with the drop down visor inside is the shit.

Scorpion always has a booth at the MotoGP so I am saving my scratch

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 11:40 PM

Not as quiet as I would expect for a high dollar lid. The top vents actually cause some of the noise due to the amount of air they allow. I tried out a friend's HJC with the internal shield. The helmet didn't fit me well, but the inner shield was cool.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 09:51 AM

I have had the Bell Star for over 2 years now. I love it. My last lid was a Shoei X11. It vents well, it is not overly loud, aerodynamics are superb, and the Transitions self tinting shield is really cool. It is a very high quality helmet. The internal bits are removable with snaps for washing when they get funky. It has removable ear pockets for audio if you want to use in helmet speakers or comms, but I never used that feature.

I got mine in the Contra Red scheme for $350 with the storage bag, which is a really nice touch. The Transitions shield didn't hit the streets until several months later.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say the name of the website I bought it from since they are not a sponsor. Is that taboo, Sub?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a Bell Apex, I'm not real happy with. I previously had an Arai Quantum II which I loved.

The Bell impressed me with construction, Kevlar mat in the shell, easy shield removal, removable liner pieces for washing, BUT the helmet is noisy, and aerodynamically it yanks my head off in crosswinds. They are inexpensive, (they are made in China) and at times show it, loose vents, breath deflector.
My gut is telling me to bite the bullet and go back to Arai.

A self darkening shield, that is cool, I would LOVE not to use a clear shield and sun glasses!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Is it quiet? I am kind of liking the self tinting shield. However, the Scorpion helmets with the drop down visor inside is the shit.

Scorpion always has a booth at the MotoGP so I am saving my scratch
I wear glasses and the primary reason I bought the Scorpion EXO-1000 was the flip-down inner tinted visor. No need to carry tinted shields or sunglasses.
Any other features were secondary to me and rarely used (i.e. inflatable check bladder).

I had some niggling issues with the EXO-1000 that I had to excuse simply due to the visor.
The worst was the chin vent that has a LOUD whistle at certain angles when riding my RC51.
Sounds like a car is 2" from your bike, which scared the crap out of me the first several times.

However, those issues seem to have been changed on the EXO-1100 plus other improvements, so I'll be replacing my old 1000 with the 1100.

Last edited by SubSailor; 08-14-2011 at 10:09 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
If you are in the market now, I will see what Scorpion deals they have at the race....They have had a booth there every year.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode